View Full Version : to be or not to be...a flight instructor

logie
31st Mar 2000, 15:28
I'm at the point in my training where I'm seriously considering going on to
commercial level and becoming an instructor. I have no desire to fly with
the airlines or even fly multi-engines, but I do have some experience with
teaching/training in other fields and of course, a passion for flying. It
might sound strange, but I prefer jumping in a C150 or C172 and just
'flying' rather than dreaming of controlling more complex aircraft.

Question is: what are my employment prospects likely to be if I end up with
a commercial licence and just an instructors rating? (no command instrument
rating etc). I have no desire to 'climb the ladder', I just want to teach
people a hobby that has become my passion.

My question relates to the Australian scene. All opinions most welcome.
Thanks,

chicken6
2nd Apr 2000, 15:24
DO IT!

Learn how to really fly when you get your CPL and figure out how to look after other people in the aeroplane, and then REALLY learn how to fly when the other person is in the pilot's seat and you have to talk them through a circuit and landing. Brilliant feeling when you do it the first time. And the second, third, fourth....

One word of advice - the more different kinds of flying you can do to build hours for your CPL the more employable you become. For example here in NZ it is very useful if you have strip flying experience by the CPL stage (from a reputable operator of course), and all other types of flying like this help your flying and that of your students. Take a helicopter trial flight. Take a glider T/F. Get as many type ratings as you can. Get a night rating and do some aerobatics. Anything to make yourself available for work when you get there. Keep in mind that you are not the one who needs inspiring to fly, but it is nice to be able to say to the ones who want to know, "Since you asked, a helicopter would...." or "Since you asked, no a twin engined aeroplane wouldn't need to because..." and if you've got the background students can sense it in the way you frame the answer. Think about this when going for your CPL - has my instructor actually been a Commercial Pilot and had these pressures put on them? My final one (end of PPL, whole CPL and Instrument Rating) hadn't, I knew it and I felt it showed in certain stages. It is only when the student asks the question that you realise whether you know something or not, so know as many different ways of doing something as you can. They all help each other.

Don't go into it expecting any remuneration for it though, you may well have to live off that passion of yours. Thousands do.

my two cents worth anyway

Safe flying :)