PDA

View Full Version : summer hours

Vortex1
31st Mar 2000, 15:16
Now the lighter nights are with us, my club is operating until 8pm, which is obviously a good thing, however my club has taken for granted I shall now be working a twelve hour day, with up to 9 or 10 hours flying. Although I do wish to build up my hours, I don't believe anyone can instruct in an effective and safe manner after such a long day, and I don't wish to make myself ill in trying.
When I brought the point up, I was made to feel like I was being awkward and lazy. What do others feel is a maximum that one should instruct in a day.

AshPilot
31st Mar 2000, 20:59
You may find that under the new JAR regulations us instructors may now be restricted by duty periods and the number of flying hours allowed per day.
Don't quote me on this one - but I'm sure I heard a rumour about this earlier on in the year - perhaps check your JAR-OPS manual.

Regards, Ash.

BlueLine
1st Apr 2000, 02:35
UK professional pilots including instructors always have been limited on hours. JAR makes no change to that.

212man
1st Apr 2000, 03:27
V1,
you 'may' find that instructing and flying commercially is covered in CAP 371. Days off and all that, old boy. Plus the same FDP/DP/flight time limitations. You cannot separate the two, ie you can't ignore 371 when away from your main operator as the TA AAC have found for instance (though that is being addressed).

Regarding JAR, my understanding was that sub part Q was still on hold, and that 371 was still in force?

Nice to hear that you are instructing though, good news

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 01 April 2000).]