PDA

View Full Version : Trip to S of France

Deneb
6th Aug 2004, 08:45
I am planning to fly Blackbushe-Bourges-Aubenas, VFR in an Arrow IV next week. Down one day, back the next. Has anyone had done something similar recently; any hints, tips and thoughts would be very welcome!

Thnks

deneb

S-Works
6th Aug 2004, 08:52
climb into the airways and read the notams!

steve_moate
6th Aug 2004, 10:13
Invest in one of them gel-based portaloos?

Oh, and read the Notams again;)

walkabout
6th Aug 2004, 10:53
Hi, I've just returned from a 10 day VFR trip to Cannes, via Lausanne outbound and direct return. The return leg was 4 hours non-stop and very tiring despite the autopilot but doable as I'd just spent a week lying on my back in the sun. If you're not sharing the flying it's a long journey for an overnight stop.

Otherwise, provided you plan it properly, the trip itself shouldn't really present any problems. You'll get a radar service pretty much the length of France and ATC are as helpful as in the UK. Weather especially over the mountains was (rightly) my biggest concern and with the higher ground between Bourges and Aubenas, you need to consider the possibility and your options.

Without knowing the extent of your experience flying generally/in France, it's difficult to be more specific.

..............but the portaloo is a good suggestion!

W

vanhigher
6th Aug 2004, 12:35
and if you are flying an "N-reg" aircraft, don't forget your C88 VAT document !!

Deneb
6th Aug 2004, 12:46
Thanks very much for the replies. Walkabout, I have sent you a PM.

Biggest problem might be dodging CBs on the way out of UK!

D

walkabout
7th Aug 2004, 08:51
Deneb,

Have responded. Hope it's helpful.

W