PDA

View Full Version : RAF VGS Instruction

Dunx
9th Nov 1999, 05:33
For anyone considering Flying Instruction as either a career or a "stepping stone" in the UK, (sorry everyone else, but maybe you have something similar?), please consider becoming a Gliding Instructor with the RAF Volunteer Gliding Schools. No I have not been contracted by Headquarters Air Cadets (but any Royalties gratefully received!) but am a firm believer in the instructional techniques taught by the VGS's.

As the schools are all standardised by the RAF Central Flying School (Acclaimed to be the best flying training establishment in the World at present), the techniques taught are similar to those taught at any regular RAF FTU (Flying Training Unit) and conform to the same rules and Standards. This grounding can only serve to provide a fine base on which to build your Instructor experience, what's more it will not cost you a penny in your Earth pounds!

I firmly believe not only through personal experience, but from what many of my colleagues have professed to me in the Mess Bar, you cannot lose anything by offering your services to a VGS. Most schools are crying out for staff (especially those with flying experience) and would welcome you with open arms.

Having been subject to VGS instruction and standardisation, UAS/EFT instruction and standardisation, BFT instruction and standardisation and having known guys (and gals) go through AFTS(FJ),(ME) and (RW), and having been a VGS conventional and motor glider instructor, I can concur that the style and standard of instruction has varied little.

Give it a thought, established instructors with enjoy it, but will usually vary their style little. Ab inito instructors may well learn something invaluable. Either way you have nothing to lose!

Advert over......leaving RAF soon...going to earn more money!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dunx (edited 09 November 1999).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Nov 1999, 12:26
This is how I started a few years back. I can confirm that they very much are looking for people due to so many moving into the airlines in response to the uptirn of recent years. I'm always suprised that more PPL's who love flying but have short pockets don't seek out this route.

Cheers, WWW

vetflyer
10th Nov 1999, 17:22
can u give anymore details?

Exprience levels reqd?
Where to apply / discuss options?
How many weekends (i assume it is mainly w'kends?
Where are the bases and types used?

Many thanks

Vigilant Driver
11th Nov 1999, 12:33
Entry requirements are (typically!):

1. Being prepared to give up every Saturday or Sunday to go flying! (Allowing for holidays!!)

2. Expecting not to always fly and being prepared to help out on the school, like driving cadets around, cleaning the HQ, doing paperwork, etc, etc.

3. Passing RAF Gliding Instructors medical. It's about the same level as a class 1.

4. Satisfying the VGS Commanding Officer that you are worth training! ie. not going to turf off to the nearest airline once you have got enough hours!

There are lots of VGS throughout the UK and you can find the nearest to you by looking up Air Cadets in the phone book and give them a call.

It's the best flying I have ever done and you get taught to fly and teach to a very high standard.

All the best,

Vigi