PDA

View Full Version : twin /complex rating

pilotbear
10th Jul 1999, 23:18
Hi everyone,

Could someone please answer this.

If I did my twin rating would that also count as a single engine complex aircraft rating?

cheers

------------------

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Jul 1999, 12:41
Now thats a very interesting question - hadn't thought of that. If it did you'd still need 5 hours in command on type before you could instruct on it. WWW

pilotbear
11th Jul 1999, 13:20
Thankyou WWW.

anyone else got any idea?

PB

watford
11th Jul 1999, 17:04
Of course it wouldn't.

A Multi-engine Class Rating is valid only on multi-engined aircraft.

Duh!

pilotbear
11th Jul 1999, 20:25
is that an informed comment?

Anybody else got any idea. Does the fact is that it a complex aircraft with retract. u/c and V/P prop not make a difference?

DB6
11th Jul 1999, 21:29
From what I have learned recently on my FIC course (just passed the flight test today by the way, so another one joins your number)the SEPL and MEPL (Single- and Multi- Engined Piston Landplanes respectively)ratings are mutually exclusive therefore the differences training you mention (as far as I know there is no complex rating in the UK - I assume you speak about the UK? ) would not neccessarily transfer between ratings HOWEVER there is no laid down minima for differences training and it can in theory be simply a read of the flight manual or a ground briefing so in practice if you learn about, say, VP props on a twin then you wouldn't have do it again on a single (however you'd need a separate SEPL rating to fly the single). Sorry if that's a little confusing but it's what I gleaned from a CAA inspector last week so I guess it's the current state of play. You might also take a look at AIC 41/1999 (White 353) which you can find at www.ais.org.uk (http://www.ais.org.uk) and has some info on the subject. The main problem is, it seems, that none of this is set in stone yet so could change again before the ANO is amended (which is likely to slip a bit from the October date according to our man from the CAA). The joys of JAR, eh?
Cheers, DB6

DB6
11th Jul 1999, 21:36
....and here's another interesting fact. 'Differences' are defined as; VP props, retractable undercarriages, pressurisation, and turbocharging. NOT tailwheel undercarriages. So in theory you can hop into a Pitts (as long as it has a fixed pitch prop, of course) and try your luck......

watford
12th Jul 1999, 00:52
No, pilotbear, it is not an informed comment - it is a fact. It may be difficult to understand but a MULTI-ENGINE rating is valid only on MULTI-ENGINE aeroplanes, the same way as a B747 type rating is not valid on a BE200!

Does anyone else have trouble with this concept?

pilotbear
12th Jul 1999, 00:56
Hi DB6,

Thank you for taking the time to explain your understanding.

I have had more variations on the answer than you could imagine.

By the way Watford, is 'duh' a technical term or the is it an example of how you treat your students when they are unsure of something and are daft enough to ask you to explain?

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th Jul 1999, 00:24
Now now girls. Come along - we'd all be friends in the bar. This medium does tend to lead reasonable people to get very cross with one another for very little reason.

Now lets all shake hands and look sheapish.

BTW - congrats DB6, and if you need a job I can get you one starting tomorrow morning with 100hrs a month gauranteed if you like... I joke not.