PDA

View Full Version : GPS-III mounting in rental Warriors?

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2004, 12:14
Hi all, I know the subject is as dull as ditch-water, so I won't be surprised if many of you skip straight past this, but here goes anyway:

I'd be interested if how GPS-III users mount the thing in the aircraft? I fly PA28 types and basically rely on the velcro-on-the-dashboard method. This seems to give the antenna a good view of the sky, but there are some downsides...

In a Warrior, if you mount a GPS-III directly in front of you on the dash with velcro, it tilts over backards and is hard to see. Also, not all rental aircraft have velcro in them already to fix to, and some have it but the "wrong" way around. Not all clubs appreciate renters adding more velcro srtips to the dash either! I have added a piece to an aircraft I fly regularly and have found the best place is on the RHS of the dash (P2 side), with the antenna touching the glass, mounted at a side-ways angle so that I can see it. Seems to work, but not ideal.

I have thought about maybe a yoke mount kit: how portable are these between rental aircraft? Does the antenna get a good enough look at the sky? Do you need an external antenna? Is this practical (too many leads in the cockpit)? Is it worth the expense of these accessories? Are there alternative solutions I should consider?

Cheers!

Andy :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
5th Aug 2004, 13:06
I don't feel the urge myself, but if I did, I'd probably buy one of these

http://www.pooleys.com/acatalog/GPS-K1.jpg

To quote from Pooley's online catalogue

This GPS Knee Board has been designed for use for the Garmin Pilot GPS. It is supplied without the bracket attachment, which is purchased with the GPS separately and is easily fitted as instructed to the knee board. The knee board measures 280mm x 150mm and is manufactured and finished in rigid heavy gauge black plastic, fitted with pen-clip and spring clip on base of knee board for retention of flight log pads, landing diagrams etc. Includes an elasticated Velcro fastening strap and moulded cushion back for comfort. Printed with much useful information as depicted in this photograph.

G

bcfc
5th Aug 2004, 14:10
Andy

I have a GPSIII and this is perfect for your needs - it works every time for me.

GPSIII Bean Bag Mount (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=0101019500)

-bcfc

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2004, 15:59
Excellent! For £12 I will give it a try!!! Have you used it in anger in the air?

drauk
5th Aug 2004, 17:13
I fly quite often with a guy who uses a yoke mount in a Cessna 182. It's easy to move from one yoke to another. He uses the internal antenna and I've never heard him complain.

IO540
5th Aug 2004, 22:16
Internal aerials work most of the time, indeed :O Often, they work very nearly all the time. For many people, they work all the time.

Not really good enough for navigation in an aircraft.

down&out
5th Aug 2004, 23:55
My GPS III came with a basic mounting bracket (standard I believe) that allows you to till the angle of view. - it looks like Genghis' one has one as well.

I found on all piper yokes the cheapest and easiest way to mount is with two strips of Velcro (with a combo of hooks and eyes) to tie round the yoke. I have never had a problem attaching to the yoke with this method and never had the signal drop out - even when once the panel mounted GPS did!!!

The problem I have is trying to describe this in detail without a picture. So here goes.

On most yokes there is a horizontal bit and two vertical sections at the ends. If you position the mounting bracket (with the GPS III attached) on top and in the middle of the horizontal bit of the yoke you could then see that if you rap a strip of Velcro around the each end of bracket and the yoke you can tie the GPS in place. Using a combo of hooks and eyes on each end this is what I successfully do. [if someone can draw and post a picture of what I'm describing that would be great]. Total cost of mounting kit has come to approx £2.

If my feeble description still hasn't helped, PM me and I'll take a picture and email you.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Aug 2004, 08:21
IO540 said
Not really good enough for navigation in an aircraft
But we'd never use GPS for sole navigation anyway, backing it up with ded-reckoning, VOR, ADF, and anything else available. So, not the end of the world.

G

Aussie Andy
6th Aug 2004, 08:29
Cool suggestions guys! I think I have the idea... so first I will head off to the DIY to get some decent velcro strips, then I will try this weekend when flying on Sunday and see what can be achieved!

The plan is ...
6th Aug 2004, 09:55
I use blu-tac. Its low tech, re-usable and found on notice boards of the non electronic / non pin type.

TPI

A and C
6th Aug 2004, 16:27
Forget the GPS use the VOR's ad ADF it will be good practice for the IMC rating !!.

Red Chilli
6th Aug 2004, 23:35
1. Place 2 stout elastic bands over the yoke column
2. Place GPS111 mounting plate on top of yoke
3. pull bands over the top of mounting plate and hook under front of yoke
4. Screw GPS onto plate and go flying!

Worked for me for ages :ok:

Pull Back
8th Aug 2004, 19:56
I second the beanbag, it works fine in the C152 and PA28's that I hire, even space for a spare set of batteries :D

Cheers,

Pull Back

bcfc
9th Aug 2004, 20:43
Sorry Andy, been offline for a bit.

Yup, whenever I use it, I plonk it on the cowling (away from the compass) and off I go. I did shell out circa £70 on a yoke mount and used it half a dozen times at most.

I like this way because I tend to have it on, in my bag or on the seat, and only use it if I'm in need of a second opinion about where I am.

I also find that sometimes with the yoke mount, the signal is poor.