PDA

View Full Version : East Kirkby

muffin
5th Aug 2004, 08:47
Has anybody been in to East Kirkby recently?

In the unlikely event of the vis being something more than 3km I am planning to go there at the weekend.

I assume the landing strip is still the peri track rather than the runway extension?

yakker
6th Aug 2004, 07:27
muffin, do not just fly-in.

The museum does not own the airfield.
Ring the museum and they will arrange use of the airfield with the farmer who does own it. It is used for other things such as motorcycle training. Apart from that the farmer gets upset with aircraft just landing with no permission from him, and because of this closed the airfield totally a few years back.
I eventually got the farmer to allow us to land, and also offered to pay £10 landing fee per aircraft (which no doubt helped his decision).

muffin
6th Aug 2004, 14:47
Thanks. I did ring today and the very nice lady in the museum said there was no problem and that if I gave them a call when I landed they would come over and pick me up. I went there last year and landed on the runway extension as I assume that was the strip! There was a guy doing motorcycle stunt training who moved the students up to the end when I made a low pass. He then came up and very nicely explained the situation - He is also a pilot.

I have also been in there in a helicopter which is much easier as you land on the enormous concrete apron near the hay bales.

muffin
7th Aug 2004, 17:25
Went there today. Very hot but enjoyable. Lancaster was out for a taxi run. Now I know why we were the only aircraft there - landing fee has gone up to £25 !!

Mr Farmer must have realised that he has a chargeable resource there.