PDA

View Full Version : IMC Flight Test

Snigs
20th Jan 2000, 19:24
Hi folks, just a short question primarily to UK instructors, with, hopefully a short answer.

I'm (hopefully) just about to finish my IMC training. I'm flying a Piper Arrow which has a heading bug and associated wing levelling gizmo. My instructor doesn't allow me to use it at any time, so I have to hand fly.

I'd like your opinions.....Is the W/L allowed in the flight test? Would you allow it in training or not?

I know it improves my flying technique, but I couldn't half use it at times!

[This message has been edited by Snigs (edited 20 January 2000).]

BEagle
20th Jan 2000, 19:49
No - I certainly wouldn't allow you to use it in an IMC Rating Test!!

StrateandLevel
20th Jan 2000, 23:25
If you had an IR you would have to use in the new revised revalidation. However BEagle is right not in an IMC Test

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Jan 2000, 23:44
Nope. Wouldn't let you use the W/L either. Not that I am an examiner.

Rather takes the sport out of an IMC flight if you don't glance up at the AH only to discover you are rolling through 45 degrees!

Sleeve Wing
22nd Jan 2000, 00:29
I'm right with you, BEagle.

Certainly wouldn't allow use or W/L or AP Hdg.facility during test.

The whole idea is to see if you can fly the aeroplane in IMC, not if the aeroplane can fly you.

rolling circle
22nd Jan 2000, 01:57
After upwards of 100 IMC Rating tests I can comfortably say -

Anyone who does not use the heading bug is an idiot, anyone who attempts to use the wing leveler is a scoundrel ( and will fail)!

BEagle
22nd Jan 2000, 02:34
Sorry - I thought that he meant that he wanted to use the hdg bug to control the wing leveller. Totally agree with you, Rolling C - use the heading bug if one is fitted to assist with maintaining headings!! But most emphatically NOT the wing leveller!!

2R
22nd Jan 2000, 07:23
Your skills are the ones to be evaluated on the test not the airplane.However after the test go have some fun with the wing leveller.Even better get some time with a full autopilot set-up.GPS auto coupled next generation .Be a hitchhiker,hangout at the airport ,you would be suprised how many pilots like some company on flights.

Snigs
22nd Jan 2000, 14:21
Thanks to everyone for the response, I guess that I already knew the answer! :)

However, rolling and BEagle, I hadn't thought of using the heading bug just for course reference, so thanks for that.

Flight test coming up soon, I'll let you know how I get on.

Mumble mumble, bloody NDB/DME approaches....

BEagle
22nd Jan 2000, 18:21
NDB/DME?? Luxury - fixed card ADF and stopwatch for you, m'lad!!

Snigs
15th Feb 2000, 20:36
Good afternoon folks,

Just to let you know that I took and passed the IMC skills test on Sunday, thanks for all your input.

Yeehar!! :)

Funnily enough, I had no problems with maintaining heading, just a bit of up and down alt drift.

BEagle
15th Feb 2000, 22:08
Comgratulations!! Well done indeed!!

squeakmail
19th Feb 2000, 08:10
Well done, snigs.

Now go back and ask your instructor WHY he hadn't given you the tip about using the heading bug as an aide-memoir to the heading. Darned useful thing when being radar vectored somewhere...turn it before acknowledging ATC.

But, I say again...well done. Trick now is to remember not to use that IMC rating in cold British clouds unless your aircraft can handle them. Wing leveller or not - even the Arrow does not do well when covered in ice

juswonnafly
20th Feb 2000, 13:29
Snigs....

Well done!

JWF