PDA

View Full Version : AGP Card

Compass Call
4th Aug 2004, 21:07
I have got a Riva TNT Series 2, 32Mb AGP Card which I want to use with an ABIT VT7 motherboard. The motherboard instructions state that it will not support 3.3V AGP cards and to use only 1.5V or 0.8V cards.
I cannot find out what voltage my card runs at and am loathe to try it in case it causes damage to the motherboard. I have tried Googling to find out but can only find PCI cards of the same type with no reference to voltage.
Can anybody come up with an answer as to the voltage of my card. It is about 4-5 years old(instructions lost). I don't want to buy a new one unless I have to as I don't use my 'puter for gaming and cash is short.
Thanks in advance.

CC

Saab Dastard
4th Aug 2004, 22:16
I believe that your card is an AGP 1.0 spec., which is 3.3v I'm afraid.

Congratulations on not finding out the incompatability the hard way ;)

I assume that your card is a Creative Labs or OEM product. You can get manuals from the Creative website.

As far as I know, Creative Labs owned the RIVA at that time and brought out a range of AGP and PCI cards based on the chipset.

I think they sold the video card stuff on to Nvidia a couple of years ago.

There are a few AGP 2X cards that run at 1.5v, but ALL the AGP 1.0 spec. cards ran at 3.3.

The AGP standards are a bit confusing, to say the least! AGP 1.0 had a multiplier of 1X or 2X, a voltage of 3.3 and a type 1 slot. AGP 2.0 had a multiplier of 2X or 4X, 1.5v and type 2 slot. AGP 3.0 (current) is 8X, 0.8v and type 2.

So there are some APG 2X cards that could be either 3.3 or 1.5v.
Yours is 2X, but I'm pretty sure it's 3.3v.

HTH

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Aug 2004, 22:24
Compass Call,

A Vid Card that old would only slow down your comp. If you look at the AGP Key you will notice it will now even fit in the AGP Slot. You can force it to make it fit, but that will damage the mobo.

AGP 3.3v Key 3.3v Speed 2x, 1x Voltage 3.3v
AGP 1.5v Key 1.5v Speed 4x, 2x, Voltage 1x 1.5v
AGP 3.0 Key 1.5v Speed 8x, 4x Voltage 0.8v

AGP 3.3v keyed graphics card:

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/images/agp3.3v.jpg

AGP Universal graphics card:

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/images/agpuniv.jpg

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/images/agp_connectors.jpg

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Saab Dastard, it looks like our posts crossed.

Saab Dastard
4th Aug 2004, 23:40
Richard,

You must have spent quite some time collating all that information!

At least we agree, which is the main thing - to avoid fried mobo :) :ok:

Cheers

SD

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Aug 2004, 02:10
Saab Dastard,

That is what is so much fun in this forum. All types of people with all different backgrounds, and in the end we mostly come to the same conclusions. :ok:

Richard

Compass Call
5th Aug 2004, 18:44
Saab Dastard

Thanks for the prompt reply. Learned something new about AGP cards. Didn't realise just how different they could be.:ok:

Richard

Thanks for the pictures. The card I have has a connector the same as the picture of the Universal AGP card - two slots in the middle, plus one right beside the 'hook'.

I think that I will go to my local shop and find a replacement. Again, many thanks for the replies, they were most enlightening.

CC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 03:56
Compass Call,

If you are looking to run Flight Sims or other 3-D programs, I would recommend either the GeForceFX 5900XT 128Mb or the Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb. They are both best bang for the buck. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

goates
6th Aug 2004, 05:38
Compass Call,

As you mentioned that you don't use your computer for gaming, something like a GeForce4MX or Radeon 9100 would probably provide more than enough video power. Especially when compared to your Riva card.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Aug 2004, 14:39
goates,

Oops! that will teach me to skim though posts late at night. :(

You are absolutely right. The $50.00 level of GeForce or Radeon will serve Compass Call's needs if you are not gaming or running a Flight Sim.

Take Care,

Richard

Compass Call
6th Aug 2004, 22:00
goates

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking at the ABIT 9200SE-T, Which at 36 quid sounds like a good buy to me. I just hope it is the right voltage, ie. 1.5V or 0.8V. I am assuming that all 'modern' cards fall into one or other category.

Again, many thanks to all for the help and advice :ok:

CC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Aug 2004, 18:04
Compass Call,

All 8X Vid Cards work with all 8X and 4X Mobos. All 8X Mobos work with all 8X and 4X Vid Cards. ;)

Take Care,

Richard