PDA

View Full Version : Books and stuff!!!

Jonty
5th Nov 1999, 12:58
Ok, Im starting an instructors course in the new year and have started reading a large blue book called "Flight Instructors Manual" by R.D. Campbell, which everyone thinks is the instructors bible.
The problem is, its not an easy book to read and tends to continually repeat its self, are there any other books that are just as usefull but alot more reader friendly?

[This message has been edited by Jonty (edited 05 November 1999).]

Tinstaafl
7th Nov 1999, 07:17
The Australian Civil Aviation Authority "Flight Instructors Guide" (formerly "publication No. 45") is not too bad for the practicalities of the flying lessons.

It may not be sufficient / adequate for the UK requirements. Can't say for sure on this as I don't have a UK instructor rating!

As for the 'theory of learning' side of things, the FAA "Flight Instructor's Manual" is quite good (I may have the name a bit screwed, but it's very similar).

Any 1st year Uni. psychology text will give you the equivalent of these but without the specific application.

Have fun!

------------------
How surprising! Aircraft use the same laws of aerodynamics all over the world. Has anyone thought to tell the CAA?

de La Valette
7th Nov 1999, 15:40
A Department of Civil Aviation (Australian) publication, first produced many years ago and called Flight Instructor's Manual, is a small book, easy to read, concise and logical. I understand it was written by ex RAAF Examiners around the then RAAF Central Flying School syllabus, which in turn was a spin off from RAF CFS teachings.

The exercises have been arranged in what is considered to be a logical order, although these can be varied. Each exercise is numbered. For example, exercises 11 and 12 are take-off and landings (all types). Where for example, several different sequences or manoeuvres were practiced, the student would log (say): 3,5,7,11 and 12.
Nowadays it takes sometimes two lines to describe the sequences covered. Not exactly concise.

Avoid complicated and long winded technical books on flight instruction. They not only send you to sleep, but are very expensive.
For about $15 (Aussie dollars)the DCA Flight Instructors Manual is best value for money. Pilot shops usually sell them.

The DCA syllabus allows 8 hours before first solo, and includes the statement: "It is an acceptable principle that in the early stages of training, instruction should be restricted to simple manoeuvres and no attempt to teach really precise flying until the student has done enough solo to gain confidence". Suggest you correlate that statement with the current discussion in Pprune Australian site entitled Time to First Solo.

Jonty
9th Nov 1999, 18:44
Thanks for the help guys, anyone else have any suggestions?

Tinstaafl
10th Nov 1999, 00:16
Oops.....dLV is quite correct about the title. That was what I was trying to name.