PDA

View Full Version : Bombardier C Series / CCQ

Torquelink
4th Aug 2004, 10:39
Apparently Bombardier are to take a go / no go decision on an all-new 110 - 130 seat twin (C Series) early next year (big assumption that funding will be available). It's to have new engines, FBW and side sticks. I wondered if the FBW/side stick feature are a clue as to how they intend to avoid customer objections to yet another "orphan" family from a crew rating point of view. Clearly, the new aircraft won't have CCQ with the CRJ series and one can see customers not welcoming yet another type requiring a specific rating but, presumably, the FBW system could be programmed to mimic the handling of the A320 family and the flight deck displays also set up to mimic those of the A320 family. It would be easy to arrange other aspects of flight deck layout (switch positioning etc) to match the A320 too. Then they'd have created a super-efficient 110 - 135 seat family with A320 family CCQ!

Apart from eating the A318s lunch, maybe it would help Airbus by expanding their product-line at zero cost or do you think Airbus might see it as a threat? Would Airbus licence the FBW software? Interested in views . . .

:hmm:

Flip Flop Flyer
4th Aug 2004, 13:18
Following that train of tought, perhaps they could make it "sing and dance" like the 7E7, albeit with a sidestick. I've read that they are still evaluating the possible sites for final assembly. Keeping with the Boeing idea, Long Beach anybody? Seems like the 717 could be the next Boeing product to bite the bullet, and the C-series could fill that gap very nicely.

However, personally I can't see Boeing or Airbus sharing that kind of proprietary data. But stranger things have happened in the circus we call aviation.

MarkD
4th Aug 2004, 18:47
Westjet's 736 order probably spells the end of the 717, as there is a limit to the money you can waste keeping two unpopular 100-120 seat aircraft going.

The rash of F100 startups using aircraft ~10 years old means Bombardier may be on to something but given how Embraer have significant cost and subsidy advantages, they better have something kickass from a technical viewpoint.