PDA

View Full Version : White horses and Long Men

Kolibear
4th Aug 2004, 10:29
I watch watching a (taped) programme last night in which the presenter kept mentioning the Battle of Eddington. The key feature was that everytime he mentioned the BoE, the camera panned to a White Horse carved in the chalk above the battlefield.

I've never heard of a white horse at Eddington, but this got me thinking as to how many other Noticeable Landmarks there are, carved into hillsides.

I can think of:-

Regimental Crests, on the way to Compton Abbas
The Long Man of Wilmington (Sussex, not Kent)
A White Horse somewhere in Wiltshire.
A Long Man at Cerne Abbas.

But I'm sure that there are a few more that I don't know of .

DRJAD
4th Aug 2004, 11:01
White horse on SW edge of NY Moors at Sutton Bank. Visible from a quite astoundingly long way in the right conditions.

ThePirateKing
4th Aug 2004, 11:16
There's a lion on the Chilterns near Whipsnade (or is it Woburn?).

There seem to be an awful lot of these marked on the charts in the south of England, but I can't say I've actually seen that many.

TPK:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
4th Aug 2004, 11:22
There are many white horses in Wiltshire (http://wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk/ ) - the ones at Pewsey and Alton Barnes I used to see regularly when I loved out there. Also one (very famous) at Uffington in Oxfordshire - which I think is the oldest in Britain.

The regimental crests on the way to Compton Abbas are at Fovant, and date to the WW1 Pals regiments.

There's a chalk cross at Dunsmore, which is a hill to the SW of Aylesbury I think (somewhere near Wendover). There was a bomber crash there during WW2, although I'm not sure if the two are connected.

G

Monocock
4th Aug 2004, 12:02
Apparently, if a girl sits on the Cerne Abbas Giants penis, she will become pregnant within a week!!!

Anyone out there tried this?:rolleyes:

For those not in the know, the Cerne Abbas Giant is a chalk carving in the side of a Dorset hill. It is not a large geezer from Yeovil!!!

englishal
4th Aug 2004, 14:57
<-------------------------- My pic
White Horse in Dorset.....

Ancient Roman castles (Maiden Castle in Dorset springs to mind)

c-bert
4th Aug 2004, 14:57
I have a far more enjoyable method of trying to get women pregnant.....:)

ozplane
4th Aug 2004, 15:25
True story. Me in my 2-seater heading off towards Cambridge one quiet evening.
G..VG Evening Luton G..VG requesting Flight Information
Luton. Roger VG What's your position
G..VG North abeam the White Lion at Dunstable.
Luton Flight Info you have and mine's a pint of Greene King IPA
Not sure it would happen nowadays

ACW 335
4th Aug 2004, 17:18
Theres a few white horses in Oxfordshire around the Abingdon to Marlborough route!

PH-UKU
4th Aug 2004, 17:42
And there's a white horse at Mormond Hill - about 30nm north of Aberdeen.

Oh, and a huge white rabbit at ..............

fernytickles
6th Aug 2004, 01:59
There's the outline of a warrior on a hill just south of the Tay, between Perth and Dundee, but closer to Perth.

the_ridders
7th Aug 2004, 09:20
Theres a single crown in kent on the side of a hill, near Wye, just North east of Ashford.. its marked on the CAA map. Overflew it last year, it wasnt as big as I anticipated.

Also, back in sussex theres a horse in chalk just NE of Seaford.

map5623
7th Aug 2004, 15:15
A white cross on the hill above Princess Risborough.