PDA

View Full Version : Help with student on the flare

AV8 consultants
18th Jan 2000, 07:19
I have recently been trying to get my student to land the aircraft but he is having problems with interferrence (he has been flying a Trike for about 300hrs and is converting to a PPL)
The Trike uses the opposite rudder to that of a fixed wing to yaw and he is having problems compensating.
He gets all his actions confused and his brain tends to mush around whilst trying to figure out what body part to move to make the aircraft adopt the landing profile.Therefore mistakes tend to keep happening before action is taken.
Any suggestions as to how to remove the old habits and invoke the new?

wyvern
18th Jan 2000, 17:34
I've had this problem. Constantly remind the student that he must move the rudder control in the direction he wants the aircraft to go, ie nose right - right rudder. Lots of practice taxying at increasing speeds. However, even when the student can taxy using the controls in the correct sense, he will tend to revert to trike controls when pre-occupied with the round-out, flare and landing. Keep your feet off, but very close to, the rudder pedals until he can demonstrate proper control. Good luck!

2R
22nd Jan 2000, 09:05
For your own protection ,take this one out to the practice area.Upper air exercise's ,basic aircraft control should be there before landing practice. Much better to let them work off the interference at a safe altitude,where mistakes can be amusing .Don't let them practice mistakes.Once the basic attitude control is worked out the landings should be easy.Remember we all must walk before we fly.

Gear up Shut up
25th Jan 2000, 23:53
I've found that some even struggle with more fundimental things.....like left & right!!

Tinstaafl
26th Jan 2000, 03:02
Not that left. The other left!

:) :) :)

150captain
26th Jan 2000, 07:20
I once solved a similar problem with a student by landing it myself and letting him work the rudder. This let him focus completely on what he was struggling with and solved the problem after a couple of tries.

Good luck. Nice to see someone looking for ways to help the student learn.

CHICKENTRAINER
26th Jan 2000, 13:01
AV8 C,

From your description I'd take the student to the training area, as low as was safe, so that they can see movement of aircraft about its axis agains external features.

Teach effects of controls (probably again) with the emphasis on the visible movement about the acircraft axis against the horizon. This is so the student can see the movement rather than to think to themself (I want the nose to go left so I must push on the left rudder pedal etc).

Then when landing the emphasis must be on "making the picture" correct rather than thinking about what control to push.

For example, when learning to yaw straight during xwind landing practice, students should be told to yaw left (or right as the case may be). This tells them what to do more directly, with a pictoral reference from their mind, rather than saying "use the rudder"

Hope this helps.

------------------
ChickenTrainer