PDA

View Full Version : How do I know when I'm done?

chicken6
23rd Mar 2000, 04:38
I've been instructing for some time now, and while I do enjoy it immensely, the whole atmosphere of an aero club, sitting in the lounge after a fine days flying and just being around the people there, I can see that there will be a time in the future when it (ie good flying but poor _poor_ money) no longer appeals and I will be off to the airlines.

My question - what warning signs should I be looking for that I might no longer be enjoying this? I have heard from airliner friends that it gets boring in the buses and they would like to have spent more time with the lighties, but I can't see it myself (yet), as I would simply keep flying small planes on days off to keep in touch.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

azzie
23rd Mar 2000, 13:43
i've been instructing for not terribly long to be honest...only about eight months. i don't dislike it, but its not something i would want to do for too long. i do charter as well and i find myself really looking forward to those flights as i get to fly it myself and have a bit more fun.

instructing is definitely good for you in many ways and i have learned a lot, but i know what you mean. i have seen people who have instructed for too long, when they didn't want to do it and they are generally bitter and quite disgruntled about EVERYTHING. When you find yourself moaning constantly and forgetting the time when you would have given your right arm to be in the position you're in now, is when you have been there too long.

i suppose i'm not the experienced person you wanted to hear from, but it took me a while to get my commercial and i've seen several instructors who hated their jobs. they can't be bothered too much with decent pre flight briefings and the post flight briefing is non-existent.

i'm not at that stage yet, thankfully, and hopefully i don't get there, but i reckon its quite obvious when your instructor hates their job.

------------------
"if there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph"

foxmoth
23rd Mar 2000, 23:41
24+ years flying, 10,000+hrs and now in the LH seat of a BIG jet - but I am still instructing on days off !!
When you look at what you are doing and decide 'do I still want to be doing this in 20 years time', then is the time to move on, but you don't have to give up the flying you already enjoy.
Have fun (the big machines CAN be fun to). ;)
;) ;)

2R
26th Mar 2000, 10:38
Stick a fork in it ,if it bleeds throw back on the barbie for more.When it stops bleedin it's done if in doubt grill it till it's black. :)

gliderboy
26th Mar 2000, 15:39
Most people apply to the airlines at the earliest opportunity, not because they necessarily want to fly bigger aircraft immediately but because you usually have to show/create a history of applications; a sort of waiting list if you like. If you wake up one day and decide yep, it's time to get an airline job well good luck to you, it might happen, but history has shown it usually takes a little longer than that. So you just have to decide/guestimate when you'll be fed up with instructing(if you will at all) and plan ahead accordingly. Hope that helps.

Oleo
27th Mar 2000, 08:32
When you are biting your students heads off or hitting them over the knuckles with the dip-stick, then you know its time to leave...hopefully you get out before then! :)

Believe me - you will know.

The_Messiah
27th Mar 2000, 14:55
When you are no longer helping your students....give it up before you make them want to.

azzie
29th Mar 2000, 04:07
Regarding the applications to airlines to build up a history....I have 600 hours and people ask me why i sent applications to airlines because they will not even look at me. My explanation is simple...when I do have the hours they will already know me and know that I am keen. Enthusiasm is the key to this industry, even when you don't have the required experience.

------------------
"if there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph"

Deputy
29th Mar 2000, 22:23
Any of the following could be a hint that your time as an instructor is nearly up:

1. Having cat naps on cross country flights of 3 hour duration.

2. Falling asleep for longer than than 30 mins on the similar flights

3. Getting cat naps in on downwind during circuits at a busy (6 A/C in CCT at a time)aerodrome.

But the real clincher is. . .

4. When the flying school shuts up shop you decide to do a Uni course rather than slog it out with other 'casual' pilots for the then substantial sum of $ 15.00AUD per hour of flight time.

That's when you will know. :)

chicken6
30th Mar 2000, 08:25
Originally posted by Deputy:
the real clincher is. . .

4. When the flying school shuts up shop you decide to do a Uni course rather than slog it out with other 'casual' pilots for the then substantial sum of $ 15.00AUD per hour of flight time.

That's when you will know. :)

I've already done the University course (B.Av) and I already get a casual substantial $15/flying hr! How come I'm not done yet?

Airprox
1st Apr 2000, 16:24
Once you've instructed for long enough full time you will know.
Deputy is right about all the cat naps during cross countries and circuits.
I haven't instructed in nearly two years now, after starting on the airlines. But now I miss it and so I'm renewing my rating this year.