PDA

View Full Version : Instructors

dansolo19
23rd Jun 1999, 18:57
Hi there.

I passed my skill test on Saturday, and have realised that the best way of going commerical, is to be an instructor first, hour build etc.

Can anyone recommend the best way of doing this. Im not exactly sure how to, and what i need to do. Also a rough budget i need.

Thank you in advance.

p.s. I did the CAA UK PPL, and live in the UK (Essex)

Dunx
24th Jun 1999, 00:44
Get in touch with your nearest large flying school and ask them if they have an ATPL (frozen) sponsorship/bursary scheme.

EG Taside Aviation in Dundee do one (Tel (01382 644372) for £8,000 up front and the remainder of the cost on a repayment basis agreed with the flying school.

The only "bond" is that you have to instruct with them for 2 years before going to the airlines. Since they are the prime conractors for teh RAF Flying Scholarship scheme, there is no shortage of studes!!!

All training upto Frozen ATPL is included (ie CPL/IR and passed ATPL ground school)

Give em a call, they may be able to help.

:) :)

[This message has been edited by Dunx (edited 23 June 1999).]

Grandad Flyer
2nd Jul 1999, 17:11
Dan Solo, Cabair also does/ did a sponsorship if you had 100 hours and some other requirements. Instruct for 2 years then work for KLM UK.
But, if you are looking for a CPL/IR (airline work), then you will need to first check with the CAA about JAA rules. The self improver route is about to be abolished, however there is a rumour that it has been given a bit longer. You will need to do a Class 1 medical first, then you need to do ATPL Navigation exams, Technical exams, gain 700 hours, do a GFT and do an IR in a twin. To be an instructor you need to do the GFT and the exams and do either an IMC or IR, I think. The course is not cheap - allow c £4000??? for AFI rating, c£6000 for IR, c£1500 for GFT, exams are up to you - self study or full time course. All plus huge CAA fees.
There are many other options - you could buy a share in an aircraft and hour build, you could work full time in your current job to pay for hours, or you could instruct. You also could consider the USA for much much cheaper flying. There have been many previous threads, check out the archive. If you need me to expand on any of the above, post a reply or e-mail me.