PDA

View Full Version : best oakley sunglasses?

green dinosaur
2nd Aug 2004, 08:24
Which are the best oakley sunglasses for flying?

IO540
2nd Aug 2004, 08:29
Oakleys tend to have a very thick bit that goes behind the ear and this creates a hole under the headset where noise gets in. They are also very uncomfortable with a headset because of this.

Best to get sunglasses with very thin side bits, e.g. the Flexon frames.

englishal
2nd Aug 2004, 08:40
The "A-Wire 2.0" are pretty good, they don't lift the seal on the headset as much as the old "full metal jaket" types....

I also bought a pair of Stilleto's from an in-flight magazine once, they're good, as the ear pieces are microscopic.

You could always get a pair like "Morpheus" wears on Matrix, the ones with no ear pieces:D

Blueskyrich
2nd Aug 2004, 14:37
I've use Oakley X-Metal Juliets with standard black lenses.

They look great and came first in a major survey of US pilots last year. However, I've managed to scratch the lenses and can't get replacements here. They do say that the lenses are tough etc. but I'm not so sure now! Luckily, I'm off to the US this month so I can get some replacments.

Also, as IO says, the thicker frames cause a gap between headset and side of the ear, which is noticeable at times in terms of cabin noise. The frames are metal and comparibly heavy, but are reasonably comfortable.

Blue

montster
2nd Aug 2004, 14:54
I've got a pair of Minutes and a pair of C-wires, neither of which I wear for flying because they're too uncomfortable under a headset, so I don't recomend either of them! I use my trusty, if a little old fashioned, RayBan Classic Rounds for flying.

Blueskyrich - try taking the glasses back to the shop that you bought them from. They should be able to give you a box to send to Oakley (in Hertfordshire) to get them repaired. I recently did this when the arm fell off mine and it was replaced FOC (and they're not under warranty). Don't know if they'll fix scratched lenses, but it's worth a try (let me know how you get on if you do send them - I've got a scratched pair that need fixing too!).

englishal
2nd Aug 2004, 15:07
You can get new lenses fitted for $19 in the USA, unless polarized, then its about $50. Similar prices in the UK, and as stated the Oakley dealer will give you a box which you post off.

If you ever get the chance, go to the Oakley HQ in Irvine, california. Its amazing, like a castle, and in the foyer they have a line of old ejection seats for seating....They'll replace the lenses there and then, or most likely they just give you a new pair of shades....(for $19 or FOC if under warranty)

EA

Blueskyrich
2nd Aug 2004, 15:26
Damn, that's a good idea Monster - thing is, I'm off to the States next week and wont have time now, so I'll end up purchasing new lenses there. Good tip that though.

Oh, while I remember, don't get polarized lenses - can't remember the scientific reason. Something to do with image being distorted in certain circumstances. Also, if you plan to ever fly in a cockpit using any type of EFIS, black/grey lenses are best I think as they don't filter out colours that can appear on these units.

Blue

Megaton
2nd Aug 2004, 20:55
Had 2 pairs of Revos last year and they were great. One pair of Oakleys this summer and the lens was scratched in no time at all. Gone back to the Revos: lighter, more comfortable, cooler!

AerBabe
2nd Aug 2004, 21:48
I've been wearing A wires for about three years. You have to position them carefully with a headset though - otherwise after about an hour you can get a headache.

I scratched the lenses on mine too, but when I phoned Oakley to ask the cost of replacements, they quoted me something like £30 each lens. :*

Feck
3rd Aug 2004, 12:28
I thought polarised were supposed to be good cos they allow you to see further in haze? You can see a lot deeper in water with them, but that's by the by.

AerBabe
3rd Aug 2004, 19:18
... unless you're flying floaties. :suspect:

silverknapper
3rd Aug 2004, 20:44
Agree with above. Got minutes and there is a lot of noise leakage. Just got e wires and so far very happy with em. Got them in states, $130. Think it was a bargain.

SK

IO540
4th Aug 2004, 09:31
Polarised are great until you have to read some instrument with an LCD (e.g. a GPS). Then you end up with a permanent 90 degree bend in your neck :D