PDA

View Full Version : Robin Aiglon R1180TD - pros and cons?

Pianorak
1st Aug 2004, 17:23
I’d appreciate comments on the Robin R1180TD Aiglon – pros and cons – especially from past and present owners. Thanks

owenlars
2nd Aug 2004, 10:47
Wonderful aeroplane. I was a part of an 1180 group for 3 or 4 years.

It cruises at 125kts on about 9-10 galls per hour. Wonderful visibility, handles as you would expect a Robin to handle, is made of metal, has a Lyc 180HP engine. Seats 4 plus a child in the middle rear.

Less brilliantly it has electric flaps. (another thing to go wrong)

Never regretted having a share in one and only changed to a Cherokee 6 when I had a need for 6 seats.

Go for it

Pianorak
2nd Aug 2004, 21:01
Owenlars - Thanks for your enthusiastic recommendation. I am indeed quite tempted. :O

owenlars
3rd Aug 2004, 16:24
Could put you in touch with a group at Fairoaks if youy wish

O

spinning
9th Aug 2004, 21:00
pianorak
We've had an Aiglon for the past 15 years.
http://flyinginireland.com/eireg.php?Registration=EI-bis
so if there's anything we can do to help you, just drop me a line.
the aiglon is a wonderful aircraft and will carry a full load of fuel. 4 adults and a good bit of baggage
there a bit hard to trim but that comes with practice.

Mark 1
10th Aug 2004, 09:48
I considered buying one once.

The DR400 scored better for me on efficiency, running costs and visibility; unless you simply must have a metal aeroplane.

Several have been scrapped due to spar corrosion. I believe there's an AD on the matter.

Pianorak
11th Aug 2004, 17:55
Thanks for all the replies. The one I was interested in was snapped up pronto. Yes, I know about the AD concerning spar corrosion.
Would love to have a DR400 - if I could get hangarage.

MayorQuimby
11th Aug 2004, 18:02
Question about the wooden Robins such as the DR400:

People always say they should be hangered. Would they be okay outside if they were covered?

MQ.

Mark 1
12th Aug 2004, 12:33
There are quite a few wooden aircraft that stay outdoors. The trick is that they are club machines and are flown very regularly.

I think it is the extended periods of festering damp that do the real damage, and a good airing at regular intervals solves most of the problem.

They used to keep Robins outside at the Rochester club, I believe without too much problem.

Having said that, I think its worth hangaring any aeroplane, as damp also attacks radios, wiring, brakes .....

aiglon
14th Aug 2004, 10:26
Pianorak,

Been away so a bit late replying.

The Aiglon is a great aircraft, especially when you consider the ability to carry a reasonable load without having to fly with almost no fuel :)

I've been flying an Aiglon (in a group) for around 7 years. I am starting to think (dream) about getting my own plane and the Aiglon is definately top of my list.

Happy flying

Aiglon

A and C
14th Aug 2004, 13:53
If you are planning to own an aircraft for more than a few years Hangarage costs will be offset by lower maintenance costs.

French aircraft have a bad reputation when it comes to corrosion and I'v seen a number that have been scrapped because of it so I would not recomend that any French aircraft ( with the exception of a reims cessna) was left outside over a winter.