PDA

View Full Version : US Training Advice

Charley
15th Jan 2000, 20:52
Firstly, I'd like to apologise for intruding into the FI forum as I am not an FI, I am a student. However, after reading the long and somewhat heated thread on US Training I would like some experienced FI's opinions on the suitability of my current aims.

I'd rather this thread didn't provoke another slanging match as I am sincerely after good advice and don't want to kick off another scrap. Also, I appreciate that the biggest factor in how well my training progresses is my aptitude and attitude; that said, I would eventually like to make a career out of flying and am determined to start as I mean to go on - correctly and safely.

Currently I have a meagre two hours of instruction plus hours logged a few years ago as an Air Cadet, although I do not intend to consider them as anything more than previous personal experience and will dsicount those hours officially. I am looking to log another two or three hours of dual instruction so that my basic handling skills are at least passable (in student terms at least) and I have attempted all of the 'standard', non-emergency manoeuvres a couple of times.

After this, I intend to go to Britannia Flight School in Winter Haven, Florida. I will be there for 27 nights. The 45-hour course takes around three weeks but I want to use the extra time if I feel that parts of the training are passing me by too quickly. If I do finish things with two or three days to spare, I will use any time and money left to build experience; landings at different fields, pracicing different nav methods, etc.

On my return to the UK I will do the R/T exam based predominantly on my theoretical study and then submit my papers for my licence.

Following this (those of you getting bored can leave the room if you want) I want to go to Multiflight in Leeds for more dual training. I intend to ask them to go through the entire JAR syllabus but not in 45 hours - for example, my FI will ask me to go through every maneouvre to see if I am competent. If I am, even on the first attempt, we move on to the next.

I am hoping that this will expose any glaring inadequacies in my basic techniques before moving on to the advanced stuff; here, I hope to familiarise myself with British R/T procedures in practice, and with other differences such as planing for the vaguaries of our weather (be it pre-flight or in-flight).

Only after this (which I am allowing 15-20 hours for) will I give myself a mental 'sign-off' as ready to fly in UK airspace, solo, and with passengers. From there I will go on to do night/IMC ratings and generally self-improve hopefully into a career.

However, the opinions of people like BEagle on the aforementioned thread have given me doubts; simply, I don't want to come back here from the US an be a liability. I want to be safe, I want to be the very best I can be and I want a firm base from which I can launch an assualt on my professional aspirations. I don't want to come back and have instructors staring at me open-mouthed as I career around the sky looking like somebody who has done a fifth of the hours I'll actually have.

I could do all my training here; my motivation for the States is my limited finances (and the money goes further over there) and the timescale. I am 26 in May, and I only have one more crack at the 'silver-standard' cadetships like BA. I applied for them before and was cut after the final board interview. I feel this was quite an acheivement as, on-paper, I was a poor candidate (only 2 A levels INC General Studies, and a Pass at degree level having failed first time).

To clarify that point, I was a lazy wastrel of a bum at uni after lacking direction in my life. Failing my Engineering degree gave me the kick in the face I needed and since then I have effected a complete personal revolution. I went back and passed my degree at resits (although I was not eligible for Honours) and every employer since has given me golden references. BA must have seen something in me and I think I only failed either because of 1) borderline eyesight or 2) at that point I had not endeavoured to learn to fly despite saying that a career in flying would be a dream. I would like to have a PPL before I apply again, but the fact I need to apply soon means I would like the PPL soon. With a poor academic history, I need to show that I am capable of learning and the PPL would be that proof (and in an aviation context).

This has turned into a huge spiel and I credit anybody still reading it! If anybody can offer sincere advice on the merits or pitfalls of my plan, I would very much appreciate it. As FIs you've all been there and done it and I value the opinions of you all. Also, if anybody can comment on the organisations I've metioned be it bad or good, again that info would be gratefully received. Anybody who doesn't want to publically air their views can email me directly.

I feel that I might have many chances to learn to fly; I feel I have only one chance to learn to fly correctly without bad habits creeping in.

Sincere thanks
Charley

willbav8r
17th Jan 2000, 18:10
Charley,

Well written. You have the master plan. You also appear to have the right attitude.

My tuppence is this: If you trained in the US, UK or Timbucktoo it should not make MUCH difference. I realise different countries have different methods, but I know people who learnt to drive on the Continent - and I consider them to be bloody madmen! But others are excellent, so I believe the theory of one country versus another has to be flawed.
The rules and regulations may differ slightly, and R/T & Weather may be different, but unless you are planning on flying in one spot all your life, you will need to adapt to numerous differences.

As long as you retain a degree of common sense, read all that you can and think about what you are doing I cannot imagine you will go wrong.

Hope this does not read as condescending (it is not intended). Others with more knowledge and experience than I will offer better advice I am sure.

Good luck, and most importantly - enjoy!

(p.s. I am NOT an FI - but someday.....)