PDA

View Full Version : What's in your toolkit?

PPPPP
31st Jul 2004, 19:21
After having been forcibly reminded today at Carlisle that there's no such thing as an Aviation RAC (thanks Jason for a very welcome hand to change my duff plug) I was thinking of establishing a small spares box for the aerial conveyance.
It's a Piper Cherokee so as well as a spare plug, credit card, driving licence and lots of money what else would Prooners recommend I carry for those "tech" moments that seem to strike on Sunday and Bank Holidays?

Flap40
31st Jul 2004, 20:23
Simple! A roll of duct tape and a can of WD40.

IF it moves when it shouldn't, use the Duct tape.

If it doesn't move when it should, use the WD40:)

AerBabe
31st Jul 2004, 21:24
A flat-bladed screwdriver, a Philips head screwdriver & an adjustable spanner. If you have fabric wings, I've read of wonderful things being done with a sheet of damp newspaper... Is chewing gum recommended too? It has some medical use for being tough but flexible once chewed & left to dry.

Keef
1st Aug 2004, 01:29
Duct tape, WD40, a quart of oil, plug spanner, spare plug, a set of fuses (if your conveyance uses them), a set of spare bulbs (especially the green one for the undercarriage!), and a proper Leatherman (not one of the cheapo copies on sale in High Street ironmongers).

If you can't fix it with that, you need a "real" man to do it.

LowNSlow
1st Aug 2004, 03:45
I combine AerBabe 's and Keef 's lists and add:

1) Roll of kitchen tissue paper
2) Can of Sparkle polish - 1) & 2) for cleaning dead bugs off the windscreen. Ever tried landing facing a setting sun with a screen full of bug corpses?
3) Some rags for wiping your paws after changing the duff plug