PDA

View Full Version : Top5 GA airfields in the UK?

[u]
31st Jul 2004, 16:00
Which are the top5 general aviation airfields in England ?

(Busy as in lots of clubs, flyers and facilities etc)

tnx!

Grainger
31st Jul 2004, 17:21
Well I'd vote for White Waltham, Old Sarum, Compton Abbas, North Weald - and Turweston do one mean bacon and egg buttie.

But why only England ? Come and visit us in Cumbernauld, Perth, Fife and so on . . .

matspart3
31st Jul 2004, 18:50
Gloucestershire Airport, Staverton

Monocock
31st Jul 2004, 21:13
Eggesford
Caernarfon
Old Buck
Compton Abbas
Norwich

:ok:

Big Hilly
31st Jul 2004, 21:23
Welshpool gets my vote. One of the best I've visited in a long, long time.

BH

Flyin'Dutch'
31st Jul 2004, 21:39
Most airfields are just fine so would be a shorter list to name the bad ones.

Exceptionally nice are:

Sleap
Kemble
Southend
Norwich
Turweston
Sywell
Wellesbourne
Leicester
Conington

FD

smallpilot
31st Jul 2004, 21:57
My own top 5....
(out of the ones I've been to)

Shoreham
Old Buck
Bembridge
N. Weald
Kemble

Timothy
31st Jul 2004, 23:13
Amazed Sherburn hasn't got a mention - top of my list.

tmmorris
1st Aug 2004, 07:45
Had a very nice time at Seething the other day. V. friendly and the nicest chips I've eaten anywhere - not just the best airfield chips!

Interesting turntable system in the hangars, too (though they couldn't resist showing every visitor...

Tim

Jodel Hugger
1st Aug 2004, 08:25
Barton wins hands down for me - v friendly field:D

Whirlybird
1st Aug 2004, 08:27
Oban, Sherburn, Conington, Caernarfon, Perranporth.

At least, those are the 5 that come to mind; I've probably missed some out that are really really nice! :{

Holdposition
1st Aug 2004, 08:30
JH

only if you are in the clan so I hear !!

PPRuNe Radar
1st Aug 2004, 10:57
Whirlybird,

Oban and Caernarfon are not in England alas ;) you'll have to pick 2 more :p

Flock1
1st Aug 2004, 12:35
Only been to about twenty or so different airfields (mainly in the north), but out of those, and in no particular order:

Gamston
Sleap
Teesside (apart from the hefty landing fee)
Nottingham
Blackpool

But my favourite airfield has to be Ronaldsway, on the Isle of Man. But does that one count?

360BakTrak
1st Aug 2004, 14:35
Gloucestershire....not too fussed about the remaining 4!;)

KCDW
1st Aug 2004, 15:34
I would include Headcorn and Goodwood.

Fujiflyer
1st Aug 2004, 17:20
(In no particular order)

Blackpool
Perranporth
Rochester
Welshpool
Leeds (despite being a tad expensive)

For the sake of it, abroad:

Le Touquet
Tours
Vias (Beziers)
Chatellerault
Lille

Fujif

AerBabe
1st Aug 2004, 19:15
[list=1]
North Weald - I know I'm biased, but where else will you get such an amazing mixture of jets, pistons, old biplanes, microlights and Cesnas? Plus brilliant staff, flying club, engineers, refueler etc. ;)
Sleap - What a welcoming atmosphere... and great bacon sandwiches.
Compton Abbas - Beautiful scenery and homely atmosphere.
Alderney - Five minutes walk from town and staffed by friendly people.
All the rest. I can honestly say I've never been somewhere I wouldn't want to go back to.
[/list=1] :ok:

jezbowman
1st Aug 2004, 19:35
Went to Welshpool last night, got there about 6pm. Greeted by the most friendly staff that I've ever been met by. Within minutes of landing I'd got fuel uploaded and taxied across to a tie down spot.

Armed with exaustive directions to the campsite, and two phone number for local taxis for later evening (both provided by the airfield) we set off. Campsite is 10min walk from the airfield, cross the river Severn (so therefore, technically, in England).

Gorgeous scenery, the airport is in the base of the Seven valley, with steep ground on both sides.

Had a good meal at the Cantonese resturant in Welshpool itself and a couple of beers.

This morning woke up to glorious sunshine, good visablilty and a sky buzzing with helicopters and light aircraft. A pilots heaven! The weather back at East Mids, not so good... Oh well, what a shame we had to hang around my new favourite aerodrome!!! :D

Loads going on, despite the fact that the vis began dropping towards lunchtime. About 10am the guy rolled up to open the kitchen armed with Bacon and Bread, fantatsic! Loads of pilots hanging around wanting to know where you're from, when you came and how your going to get back. One even offered that there was a train at 3pm if the EMA vis didn't clear!!:ouch:

Again the staff were excellent providing me with access to all the latest weather reports along my short route back.

Finally the weather cleared up to 5k's at EMA, so with tents and sleeping bags restowed into the 172's hold we were off into the clag. Made it back no probs...

What a fantatsic weekend! :p Probably one of the best flying weekends I've had and it was all down to the airfield, the people and the location. I would STRONGLY reccommend a visit to anyone whose not been there, and you should defintly camp!

Cost £12 to land, £5 for overnight parking and £1/ltr AVGAS.

Timothy
1st Aug 2004, 21:46
I can honestly say I've never been somewhere I wouldn't want to go back to.There speaks someone who hasn't been to Wolverhampton intergalactic Spaceport.:*

steve_moate
2nd Aug 2004, 09:27
Now now Timmykins.....

Why do they get upset when anyone refers to them as Halfpenny Green airfield? In them days it was GA freindly.

On that point, the current half mil map has a racetrack pattern next to the spaceport:p . Are they setting a trend? Will all GA airfields have these printed in due course? Is it because of the proximity to Birmingham? Answers on a postcard please.

My vote goes to:

Peterborough (Connington)
Goodwood
Shoreham
Shobden
Wellesbourne

2Donkeys
2nd Aug 2004, 09:39
Good to be able to spell your Top 5.

Once, again ignoring the mere inconvenience of a border.

Oban

Old Buckenham

Tollerton

Wick

Kemble

steve_moate
2nd Aug 2004, 12:48
Strange thing I've noticed on this and many other forums.

Whenever people are asked to rate/vote for/recommend any GA field, it always seems to come down to the quality of the bacon butties. I'm as guilty as the next person for this. Many of the people that I fly with or chat with at the club seem to decide on the destination based on the quality of the grub.

To the extent that a one hour land away sortie from any club is affectionately known as the '£200 bacon sarnie':)

All of the sites I previously mentioned were based on this theory, and I've only just realised

:confused: :D

2Donkeys
2nd Aug 2004, 13:05
It says a lot about the kind of flying which many (perhaps most) PPLs actually do. They rent an aircraft, go away for an hour - where can you get to in an hour, somewhere fairly close - then the have a bite to eat and come back.

Some say that the gradual monotony of that kind of flying is what contributes to many people giving up within a few years of learning to fly.

Its a fair bet that many GA pilots don't have 5 favourite airfields across Europe, because unless you own the aircraft, or belong to a tolerant group, you won't have got far enough to have that much experience. When you do, you chose fields for differerent reasons, with food being a minor consideration.

FWIW, I chose mine partly for food (Old Buck, Kemble), and partly because of the quality of the welcome (Oban), and partly because of the specific assistance available (Wick for transatlantic aviators)

2D

jezbowman
2nd Aug 2004, 20:19
It says a lot about the kind of flying which many (perhaps most) PPLs actually do. They rent an aircraft, go away for an hour - where can you get to in an hour, somewhere fairly close - then the have a bite to eat and come back.

Which is also why I enjoyed stopping over the night at Welshpool so much this weekend. I was in the Flying Schools 172, booked it for the last slot on Saturday (4:30pm - 6pm) and the first two slots on Sunday (till 12pm). In the summer months this seems the 'way to go' and I'll try and do this more often.

This way, you fly the two hours (one each way) without annoying anyone and get to do something in the 17 hours you have before heading back (okay including sleeping!). (Actually, this weekend, due to the weather I had the plane for a whole 24hrs and it only cost me two hours - but this is an exception)

There are plenty of options, some you'll need a hotel some you can camp. Camping was fun and I'd love to find more places which let you camp 'on site' under the wing. That WOULD be fun!!!

My other four fave's would have to be:

Skegness - for the sheer speed of getting there while cars are stuck on the Lincolnshire roads at 40mph behind a lorry (and 'cos Skeggys ACE). Really friendly and WOT - NO BACON SARNIES!?! (but still excellent airfield...)

Turweston - it was my first land away when learning for my PPL and first stop on my QXC. Have been back loads since beacuse it's a nice place to sit and and watch the world come and go.

Wellesbourne - pretty much the same reasons as Turweston, just a nice trip and place to sit and watch the planes come and go and mix with the public who come up to watch, they're often interested and I'm always willing to talk planes!

East Midlands - or 'home'. Not likey to be in many peoples fave's but it's an important place to me - 1st solo and all that. Plus mixing it with the big-boys has a certain buzz. Always nice to get back to familiar airspace and hear voices and callsigns on the radio that you know.

Whirlybird
2nd Aug 2004, 20:41
Its a fair bet that many GA pilots don't have 5 favourite airfields across Europe, because unless you own the aircraft, or belong to a tolerant group, you won't have got far enough to have that much experience. When you do, you chose fields for differerent reasons, with food being a minor consideration.

Well, since you insist....

Whirly's five favourite airfields worldwide......

Oban - still in the top five, for the welcome and the advice.

Barra - for being able to land on the beach, and letting me make my favourite ever radio call: "G-MT has the beach in sight".

Biberach (Southern Germany) - for the friendly welcome, loads of advice, good food, general help - in fact, I think they get the Number 1 spot.

Big Bear (California) - for the stupendous scenery and approach...I think the food was pretty good too.

Stupino (Russia) - for the amazing aircraft I got to fly

Five's not enough, can I have a few more, please!!!!!!

sharpshot
3rd Aug 2004, 07:59
Perhaps the question ought to be:
What are your five favourite alternates

Where are you going to rely on when you can't make it to the primary airfield of choice.

You come back to your home base on indemnity just before sunset and you can't land - where is your favourite airfield now.
I know where mine is; it's H24 and has ILS on both ends and a darned fine bunch of professionals in ATC:ok:

benhurr
3rd Aug 2004, 09:41
My top five...

Perranporth - Really friendly, and a great approach over the cliffs and it only takes 1 hour 15 minutes to get there and my kids can play on the beach.

Deauville. Really laid back, and Honfleur must be one of the best places to go and sit and watch the world go by.

Caernarfon - fun approach over Snowdon.

Skegness - Fun place, helpful folks and all the people in the caravans come out to watch.

East Midlands - same reason as Jez - PPl/first solo etc. And I love to break cloud on the ILS and see all of that runway and all of the lights. And my aircraft is based there.

Anyone have a favourite Belgian Airport apart from Ostend? Needs about 1000 metres, customs and a restaurant and ciggie shop nearby!

No_Speed_Restriction
3rd Aug 2004, 09:52
Shoreham - Has to be done and brighton is only down the road by cab + transair is on the airport perimeter.

Caernarfon - Lovely scenery

Duxford - For a bit of nostalgia

Welshpool - Quaint town and an interesting site for an ndb. :yuk:

Panshanger - If you avoid not pissin off the neighbours on climb out you deserve a handshake.:O

watchthewarrior
3rd Aug 2004, 19:44
Sherburn in elmet

Though thats probably a biased view, simply based on the fact that thats where i fly from!

wtw

Penguina
4th Aug 2004, 12:03
Panshanger - If you avoid not pissin off the neighbours on climb out you deserve a handshake

Was that a deliberate double negative? :E :D

I like Shoreham, Kemble, Wellesbourne, St Omer, Little Gransden.

My experience is a bit limited.

The questionner suggested it was level of business he was after, not favourites. In which case I understand that, in terms of movements per year, Wycombe is in fact the busiest aerodrome in the UK, including LHR; can anyone substantiate this?

AerBabe
4th Aug 2004, 20:30
brilliant staff, flying club, engineers, refueler etc The brilliant 'refueler' pointed out this morning that he should be a 'refueller' with two 'L's. Sorry Mushroom One. :p

Whipping Boy's SATCO
4th Aug 2004, 20:39
Sherlowe - Always welcome.

Husbands Bosworth - Although a busy gliding site, they couldn't hve been more accommodating with me in a tatty old PA28.

Shobden - Top fry-up.

Oban - Nice view.

Jersey - Well heeled flying club with cheap fuel (56p/ltr last time I looked)

Flyboy-F33
5th Aug 2004, 08:33
Weston - The most friendly welcome I've ever had

Chambery - Lovely airfield, great scenery, nice flying club

Mahon - International facilities at grass strip prices, cheap fuel.

Courchevel - Interesting approach and great scenery

Compton Abbas - very very nice people

Andy_R
5th Aug 2004, 16:30
In my limited experience so far:

1. Sandown - location, friendliness, no PPR, lovely place to sit on a summers day and chat and enjoy the company.

2. Compton Abbas - location is superb, friendly staff, good grub and a variety of routes to get there, so lowering the routineness.

3. Goodwood - location location location. No better place to sit and watch the goings on. Just pipped to the post by the two above because it's only a 10 minute flight away!

4. Shoreham - home! Lots to offer, always helpful ATC and I guess familiarity, plus loads of runways to chose from.

5. Rochester - friendly and welcoming with good views on the way up and some good grub too.

Doubtless this will change as my experience grows, though the top three will take some beating!!

Just noticed I seem to have a particular liking for grass :cool:

ComJam
5th Aug 2004, 22:13
Glenforsa on the Island of Mull

OK, not in England, bit definately the most beautiful little grass strip in the whole country. It's got a great view, the sea and a hotel. Perfect :D

Oh and Perth............obviously :ok:

Ace Rimmer
6th Aug 2004, 09:15
Headcorn - good atmosphere plenty of meat bombing to watch (my meat bomb days are long gone though)

Old Sarum - again a good atmo friendly place - handy for old mother Rimmer's

Compton Abbas - great spot - good views - friendly folks

Goodwood - lots going on but like Cloud says just too dang close

Shoreham - well ...in flying terms it's home

cubflyer
6th Aug 2004, 22:38
Surprised no one has mentioned Popham. Always friendly, lots going on and cheap landing fees.
And Breighton especially on sunny weekends when lots of the residents are out flying
Leicester
Welshpool
Henstridge
are my other votes for a top 5.
lots of great farm strips too!

Timothy
6th Aug 2004, 23:50
The most important thing is for an airfield to make you feel like they want you there...you are not just an inconvenience. The ones that do that best include Old Buck, Sherburn, Perranporth, Oban, Welshpool Kidlington and Kemble.

There are quite a few where the welcome depends very much on who is on duty. These include Fairoaks, Stapleford, N Weald and Kemble.

knobbygb
8th Aug 2004, 07:28
Well, never having flown south of Watford mine are limited to the north...

Sherburn (home base),
Bagby (small, friendly, always seems to be open, interesting runway, free reciprocal landing fee),
Barton (lots going on, interesting area to fly into, free reciprocal landing fee),
Netherthorpe (friendly, pretty, challenging, nice food, yes, you guessed, free...) and
Oban (the welcome, always seems to be sunny, bit expensive but worth it)
would be my top 5 in this country. Since people are endulging themselves with foreign travel:

Everglades City, Florida (surrounded by sea/swamp, good resteraunts nearby)
Kingman, Arizona (great cafe, in middle of stunning desert/mountain scenery, interesting old a/c on site)
Payson, Arizona (great cafe, interesting residents, amazing scenery - at 6000ft in mountains/forests)

Oh, as far as good welcomes go, I'd challenge anybody to find somewhere more friendly than Eddsfield, Yorkshire (near Bridlington). And that INCLUDES Oban. Clubhouse is a caravan where pilots can make a brew, cook or even sleep overnight in the bunks. There's a bbq pit under the trees and you can camp there too if required. Ed, the owner tries to give a personal welcome and will run you to local b&b's pubs etc. if required. Landing fee the princely sum of £3.

BeauMan
16th Aug 2004, 11:32
I'm afraid I'm a bit limited in my choices due to having not-very-many landaways under my belt, but here goes...

Netherthorpe - very friendly people, great cholesterol-filled scoff. :ok:

Conington - very friendly people, great cholesterol-filled scoff. :ok: (anyone seeing a trend developing here...? ;) ). Oh, and a fourty litre fuel uplift gets you a free landing.
:ok:

Leicester - very helpful on my QXC last year; tried to go there this year but ended up at Conington instead (as FlyPast GA forum members know... :eek: )

Shipdham - Nice folks, interesting little USAAF Museum corner there too.

Clacton - VERY interesting public footpath which runs across the runway. :eek: Damn near chalked up up an old biddy and her dog on it a couple of weeks ago... And they're a great bunch of people at Clacton Aero Club too. If you've not been there, go and do the TWC, trust me, it's the most fun you'll have with yer kecks still on. :}

Calais - just 'cos it was a runway I could land on when I made it over the water for the first time... :ok:

wingandaprayer
17th Aug 2004, 01:51
Limited experience but, in no particular order;

Stapleford
Duxford
Rochester
Old Buck
Lashenden (Fun to watch those mad enough to jump out of a servicable aircraft.)

S-Works
17th Aug 2004, 09:06
Bakersfield - My second home and Terry Baker when of lifes true gentlemen.
Kemble
Popham - What lovely friendly bunch
Jersey
Guernsey

Dusty_B
17th Aug 2004, 09:14
Eggesford - Wow! The best welcome I've ever had.
Perranporth - location.
Headcorn - atmosphere.
Carlisle - most helpful staff.

I'm stuck for a fifth... I'll get back to you on that!!

2close
17th Aug 2004, 10:19
And the Top 5 results so far are (provided my arithmetic skills are still functioning):

Shoreham 7 votes

Compton Abbas 6 votes
Kemble
Welshpool

Oban 5 votes
Old Buck
Perranporth
Sherburn

Caernarfon 4 votes
Goodwood

Sleap 3 votes
Shobdon
Turweston
Rochester
North Weald
Leicester
Headcorn
Connington

I've included all airfields mentioned, regardless of location, and it includes my choices of:

Shobdon (For it's restaurant building)
Dunkeswell (For confusing me with all the surrounding disused fields)
Shoreham (Just a wonderful place and for being the first airport in the UK, I believe)
Redhill (For being close to my new home to be)
Swansea (Solidarity)

But my favourites of all time are in the USA:

Lakeland, FL - for being wonderfully friendly and helpful and for the best burger restaurant on the planet (I'm glad I proof read that - two minutes ago it was the best buger restaurant)
Cedar Keys, FL - for being a 2000' concrete plank with an approach over the water and a brilliant taxi service from Lester, who listens in to the Unicom and turns up at the plank to pick you up and take you downtown (Is he still with us?)

Best Regards,

2close

Kanu
12th May 2005, 15:34
In no particular order

Leicester (Home airfield so it would be rude not to)

Connington (just down t'road but worth it for the bacon n egg toastie :)

Gamston (couldn't have been more helpful when I visited)

Sleap (Friendly atmosphere and some nice bits a pieces from WWII)

Welshpool (Although it 'was' run by complete moron's, that takes nothing away from its location)

muffin
12th May 2005, 19:24
Old Buck
Deanland
Oban
Seething
Shipdham

FullyFlapped
12th May 2005, 22:00
Quite a few faves, really, for various reasons ... but I've had particularly good welcomes at :-

Jersey
Netherthorpe
Blackpool
Inverness

and yesterday, at Ronaldsway IOM. I don't remember laughing so much in ages, and I discovered the real truth about Angelina Jolie and her bra !

FF :ok:

GASH !
12th May 2005, 22:16
1) Manchester Barton (Big thumbs up to the GBBKY group, Summer of 2000, happy days)

2) Caernarfon ( Qualifying cross country 1999, a fantastic day )

3) Oban ( for the welcome and the tea and biscuits on arrival)

4) Perth

5) Fife (finest food of any airfield I've ever been to)

Cat.S
14th May 2005, 11:01
1) Sleap (flown there over 50 times in the last five years)
2) Shobdon
3) Caernarfon (but not on a weekday when Valley route you not above 1200' through the Menai Straits- it's like flying through a washing machine!)
4) Wellesborne
5) Leicester

My all time least favourite is Blckpool.

Dan Dare
14th May 2005, 13:33
White Waltham - busy, varied, good food, always lots of people
Old Warden - not busy, but GREAT ye olde worlde atmoshpere
Headcorn - home of the Tiger Club (need I say more?)
Compton Abbas - good food, friendly welcome, young Ms. Hughes
:O
Bembridge - nothing there, but great destination for beach, walks and of course the Crab & Lobster