PDA

View Full Version : IMC rating syllabus

Obs cop
30th Jul 2004, 19:52
Probably a very simple question but here goes anyhow,

Is there an IMC rating syllabus/ list of exercises aka PPL, and if so where can I find a copy?

Thanks in advance,

Obs cop

stuartforrest
30th Jul 2004, 21:15
Also is there anywhere you can get sample exam questions for the written please??

High Wing Drifter
31st Jul 2004, 09:08
The Trevor Thom book 5 is a start. It basically comes down to this:
1) Full Instruments straight and level, turns, climbs, descents.
2) Partial panel, straight and level,turns, climbs, descents and unusual attitudes (don't eat too much breakfast!!)
3) VOR and NDB tracking (NDBs are tricky customers!)
4) Holds
5) Non-precision approaches VOR/NDB (with and without DME)
6) Precision ILS approaches
7) Missed approaches

That is about it really.

Sample exam questions are in the IMC Confuser available from your school no doubt...however beware! There were many questions in the exam not in the confuser! My pass was marginal saved only by the fact I had read the text.

Obs cop
31st Jul 2004, 14:10
Thanks for that HWD,

Obs cop

Holdposition
31st Jul 2004, 15:21
obs cop, just doing my IMC now, took the written yesterday. You can get the full gen on the imc rating from the CAA site, sorry can't put a link up for it as have downloaded myself, if you want a copy or have problems just pm me, good luck.

Manged to find the link:) I hope:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_fcl_25v1_03_2002.pdf

StrateandLevel
1st Aug 2004, 08:44
The UK IMC syllabus which was originally published in CAP53 and 54, is now published in LASORS. Section E Appendix A.

AOPA publish a printed IMC syllabus along the same lines as the AOPA PPL syllabus.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF

IO540
1st Aug 2004, 19:50
There is a book called the IMC Confuser - very very good.

But beware because the CAA in their exam questions are treating the 500/600ft decision height figures as law, when in reality they are advisory only.

High Wing Drifter
1st Aug 2004, 19:53
Re the IMC Confuser, I mentioned it a little way up and it wasn't as good as the PPL one, which verged on cheating IMHO! Not many of the IMC Confuser questions turned up in the exam itself.

Holdposition
1st Aug 2004, 21:43
Re the confuser, have to agree with High Wing Drifter, although it does have some of the questions in it I found it pretty poor in general and have a copy more or less untouched if anyone can make use of it!!. I decided to do a one day ground school and in that way felt that was a far better way to at least try to learn the subject rather then just past the exam.

High Wing Drifter, NDB tracking (tricky customers), now how glad was I to hear that:), will I ever get it I ask, any direction of help will be rewarded in usual way.....cheers.

IO540
1st Aug 2004, 21:57
These "confuser" books might be cheating but there are only so many possible questions on what is for most part an absolutely ancient syllabus, largely unchanged since the last world war.

The books contain about 4x more specimen questions than the exam, and I think that anybody who can work through them and get say 90% right HAS to have an acceptable understanding of the subject.

Most of the stuff is not needed anyway for actual flying. (That will get some people going :O )

I don't think Trevor Thom Book 5 is very good, although it is clearly intended for the IMCR. It is very confusing in places and unnecessarily complicates what are IMHO relatively simple subjects. How many pages can (should) be written on how to track an NDB? People write reams but it won't sink in unless (until) the pilot has developed adequate situational awareness.

But I never found a better book when I was doing it. I did find good books on parts e.g. VORs/NDBs (Martin Cass) but they still make a meal out of it.

stuartforrest
2nd Aug 2004, 09:59
Thanks for that. I have ordered the confuser today.

High Wing Drifter
2nd Aug 2004, 18:10
Holdposition,

See my bit below about RANT. Like lots in flying I start with "Arrgghh, I'll never get the hang of this" and end with being unable to understand what the problem was :)

IO540,
I don't think Trevor Thom Book 5 is very good, although it is clearly intended for the IMCR. It is very confusing in places and unnecessarily complicates what are IMHO relatively simple subjects.
I agree! FWIW, after a frustrating hour practicing an NDB hold I bought a copy of RANT and worked through the techniques in the Thom book (although not that methodically). Worked wonders! Something to do with the I read I learn I do I understand thing. All the better when it isnt £120/hr :D

IO540
2nd Aug 2004, 18:13
£40 spent on FS2004 and a joystick will save you £1000s on any instrument training.

Holdposition
2nd Aug 2004, 18:58
High Wing Drifter,

Hate to admit it but I got a copy of Rant, still dosen't make things straight forward but I thought once it snaps into place with me (will it ever:rolleyes: ) will be able to practice to my hearts content. At a cost of less then an hours flying must be good value......just learn the thing first!!

stuartforrest
2nd Aug 2004, 22:44
Yes I have already spent many hours getting the NDB hold sorted out on MS Flight Sim. It is excellent to learn on.

scallaghan
2nd Dec 2004, 18:01
Hi All,

I am trying to work whether I should do a IMC rating to get a good grounding before going on for CPL/ME and IR training when I have completed my ground school modular course.

Would it be best to spend the cash on 15 hours for an IMC followed by hour building or not to bother with?

Cheers

Sean

IO540
2nd Dec 2004, 18:06
Do you want to go places, or do you want to become an airline pilot?

High Wing Drifter
2nd Dec 2004, 19:13
scallaghan,

This is purely theoretical, as I haven't even started my IR yet. However, so far:

* I have found it mildly useful for P1 hour building as going IMC for short periods is preferable to turning back (with certain provisos!)

* As I need 250hrs TT there is room for 15hrs of extra tuition mid hour building phase. Sharpens one up a little too (IMHO).

* I think provides a better understanding of what is involved with the IR. Gives a chance to cogitate and ruminate on it. My instructor knew I intended to go for the IR eventually so demonstrated a 200' DH and kept me on the ball as far as tolerances are concerned. I think I have a decent appreciation of what to expect now.

Last but not least, it is great fun!

Cheers,
HWD.

QNH 1013
2nd Dec 2004, 20:21
Scallaghan,

If you wish to go on to do an IR, may I suggest that you do your IMC with a commercial school that has a good reputation for their IR training. The IR is not easy and requires a great deal of formality and multitasking that is often lacking in the IMC training. No matter what it costs (IR training rates are typically twice the IMC rates) I would strongly suggest you will get best value for money by doing the IMC at the school where you will eventually do your IR, and let them know you will be going on to do the IR.

I learnt the above advice the hard way (i.e. with my own money), as I did the IMC rating several years before the IR.

Hope the training goes well. Enjoy it; it costs enough!

QNH 1013

IO540
3rd Dec 2004, 09:32
I would definitely agree that the IMCR should be done with an instructor who teaches the IR.

I would also get each individual lesson signed by the instructor - just in case one wants to make use of those logbook entries at some future date towards something else, e.g. an FAA IR. I've been told recently by an FAA examiner that previous instrument training is allowable towards the FAA IR only if done with an ICAO instructor qualified to teach the IR. A lot of IMCR instructors don't have an IR. I have no idea if he's right (schools in the USA aren't bothered by this) but it's worth doing just in case.