PDA

View Full Version : AFI rating validity/renewal

Pax with chutes
13th Jan 2000, 14:02
This may seem a silly question, but never the less the place to ask......

How long does an AFI rating last and what has to be done to renew it (both before and after lapse date)?

Thanks in advance.

BEagle
14th Jan 2000, 15:04
Are you an existing Flight Instructor or interested in becoming a FI(A)Restd.? It'll be easier to give you an answer if you can tell me that first!!

Pax with chutes
19th Jan 2000, 14:23
I already hold an AFI rating, just wonderd how it would convert to the FI(R). I believe from other sources that you have to meet 2 of 3 criteria. As I do very little instruction I was wondering whether it would be a fair bit of bother?

Vigilant Driver
20th Jan 2000, 13:41
Pax,

As I understand it you were asked to sign a form by the CAA saying that you understood JAR!?
Once done your AFI = FI(R) although any AFI rights (such as teaching IMC applied) will be carried through to your FI(R). My licence still shows an AFI but I am now under FI(R) renew criteria.
The time to retest is complex. I believe that a rating before Jan 2000 is yearly then once every three years, rating issue after Jan 2000 is once every three years.
To renew your either go to a seminar and Instruct a certain number of hours or take a flight test.
There are lots of white AICs on this, recommend you have a rummage.

Regards,

Vigi

BEagle
20th Jan 2000, 13:56
As an AFI or as an FI(R), your instructing activites must be supervised by an FI(A). Ask your supervisor to help you, I would suggest - or an FIE. Have you met the 'declaration of knowledge' requirement so that you may instruct for the new PPL? If you only do a little instruction you may find it expensive to revalidate as you'll have to do the revalidation flight test AND the 2-day seminar.......... Best of luck, sorry that I haven't got the answer you need. Perhaps you should phone CAA Standards Support??

Pax with chutes
21st Jan 2000, 17:48
Thanks for replying gents.....you have pretty much echoed what I have found from other sources. Me thinks that it may well be a rating that I let go , just stick with the ones that pay the bills.

Regards.

PWC

BEagle
21st Jan 2000, 21:19
It'll be sad if you do let it go. That would be one scalp down to the CAA's enthusiastic adoption of JAR-FCL!!

StrateandLevel
22nd Jan 2000, 00:25
To answer the first question an AFI rating has a validity of 12 months. Ipresume it has lapsed so you would have to do a test to renew it and as it has passed the 1st Jan 2000 a Seminar too. Of course if it been expired for a while it would be refresher training with a FIc instructor plus a test with a FIE. Details on conversion to FI are in AIC 30/1999. Basically 100 hours instruction plus 25 supervised solo sorties.

The revalidated rating will have 3 years validity revalidated in the last 12 months by 2 out of three: Test, Seminar, 100 hours instruction over 3 years, 30 of which are in the last 12 months.

Pleased to see everyone has signed for the full understanding of JAR whotsit!

Pax with chutes
22nd Jan 2000, 14:07
BEagle, now that's a way to motivate a bloke :) I think your right and as pointed out by the last post, a validity of 3 yrs is a more attractive propostion.

As to the signing to understanding JAR stuff...read what the company gave me, signed it and promptly forgot most. There are certain authorities that still don't really know the whole story wouldn't you say? ;) ;) ;)

BEagle
22nd Jan 2000, 19:19
Don't let the changes in the regulations do you out of your part-time instructing!! This wouldn't have been a problem in previous years, Chris Mullin MP (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State of th Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions) thinks that the cost increases faced by us all under JAR-FCL are insignificant. If you wish to appraise him of the reality facing our industry, you could always e-mail him at [email protected] . I've just had to pay £125 plus aircraft hire for a ridiculous 'observed flight test' to revalidate my PPL Examiner Authority and I'll certainly be making Mullin aware of it!!

climbs like a dog
24th Jan 2000, 14:28
I thought that last year's renewal was only valid for twelve months http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif and then the three year validity kicked in from this year's renewal. I could also be wrong (haven't done that before http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif).

Whatever happens it will take some time before the FI renewals even out across a three year period because everyone currently in the game will be renewing within the same year, leaving some extremely lean years in between for whoever is running the gold plated renewal seminars or those examiners authorised to renew. Just a thought.

------------------
0 to 2000ft in 10 minutes

watford
24th Jan 2000, 16:36
FI ratings renewed on or before 31/12/99 are valid for 25 months (CAA rules). FI ratings revalidated on or after 1/1/2000 are valid for 3 years (JAA rules).

climbs like a dog
25th Jan 2000, 13:35
Given that I'm still an AFI/FI(R) methinks I've got the right idea. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
0 to 2000ft in 10 minutes

Gear up Shut up
25th Jan 2000, 18:48
I believe that's correct.

....and just to add to it aren't these seminars going to be pretty few and far between meaning a potential abstinence from instructional flying? :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Gear up Shut up (edited 25 January 2000).]

StrateandLevel
25th Jan 2000, 23:05
But you have a year in which to do it. How many do you want.

Gear up Shut up
25th Jan 2000, 23:45
None really! ;)

But how about those who lapse over the next month or so who don't have the instructional time?