PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance Of A Job?

ATPLstylee
15th Oct 1999, 23:27
Here's the big questions.

What are my chances of getting an Instructors job anywhere in the UK with a brand new FI rating in April?

By then I will have around 300 hrs T/T and a huge overdraft. So am I employable of living in cloud cuckoo land?

Any thoughts from current FI's or potential employers (worth a try).. appreciated.

Thanks.

DB6
16th Oct 1999, 03:09
You will have no trouble at all. Try looking at the adverts every month in Pilot, Flyer, and Flight International for FI(R) jobs (as they are now) between now and then. You'll almost certainly be offered a job while you're on the course anyway, through the grapevine, and being from London you'll have even more clubs after you. Relax.
Cheers DB6

Realist
16th Oct 1999, 08:47
Don't know about U.K. but I am looking for OZ Grade 1 and Grade 2 at present. Award + wages 800 hours/year. [email protected] need up to 6 instructors and will happily hold a waiting list.

Charlie Foxtrot India
16th Oct 1999, 14:56
Try advertising on the ozjobs thread.

tollett
20th Oct 1999, 00:41
Call Graham Bright on 01767 651950, He has a school near Bedford.

tollett
20th Oct 1999, 00:42

Sorry about the duplication

[This message has been edited by tollett (edited 20 October 1999).]

tollett
20th Oct 1999, 00:42

Sorry about the further duplication!!

[This message has been edited by tollett (edited 20 October 1999).]

Noisy Hooligan
20th Oct 1999, 10:33
Chill dude, you will be qualifying just in time for the summer 'silly' season. Load of hours and a little more money than one can earn during the winter months. Try Cabair, they have 7 schools in the south of England and are expanding all the time...

Capt Homesick
21st Oct 1999, 03:32
Also try Tayside Aviation in Dundee. They are prime contractors for the RAF Flying Scholarship scheme. Anything up to 120(!!!) hours per month in the summer (my personal best was 91, but I'm lazy).
01382 644372

BEagle
21st Oct 1999, 10:13
.......and being thousands of hours behind with Ayling Bob's contract as well as being short of instructors, OATS might also be interested in you.

Meeb
21st Oct 1999, 21:45
Anyone see the OATS ad in Flight this week? A large increase in capacity means more instructors it said, but what about just replacing the many who are leaving? I know of 4 who have left in the last couple of months. Also, notice the ad now says minimum of 500 hours instructing experience, maybe they have found that the previous requirement of 200 hours was too low?

rolling circle
21st Oct 1999, 22:51
Since OATS have close to 100 instructors, I doubt they will be too bothered about losing 4 in two months. I understand their turnover in the past twelve months is about 10%, hardly excessive.

To return to the point, as Meeb points out OATS now require a minimum of 500 hours instructional experience so no go there. I do hear, however, that Cabair are using low hour AFIs on their commercial training course at Cranfield, might be worth a look.

ATPLstylee
22nd Oct 1999, 21:51
Well, many thanks to everyone who replied to my post, either on here or direct by e-mail. It looks like I won't be begging after all.

All I have to do now is pass the nightmare NAV's !! There is no god..

If anyone is thinking of taking ATPL ground school to pass the exams, I can recommend OATS - after nearly 3 months of doing both Techs and now the Nav's I am really impressed. In addition Rumor has it that Cabair has really gone down the toilet with Britannia pulling all their students...

Anyway, cheers guys.

capt beeky
23rd Oct 1999, 16:13
Rolling Circle
I think 4 leaving OATS is a little on the low side, just as 100 instructors is a little high. You presumably count the top management (non standardised) rather than line grunts.
I notice that the ongoing saga of OATS disciplining instructors for refusing to fly outside working hours/without a valid medical will soon be hitting the papers when it reaches the industrial tribunal. Seems BALPA is well worth joining as an instructor.
If either of the guys concerned are out there, could they tell their side of the story?

[This message has been edited by capt beeky (edited 23 October 1999).]

rolling circle
24th Oct 1999, 03:11
Oh dear Beeky, you really must take your mole to task for giving you duff gen. OATS lost one instructor in August and two in September which, you will notice, is actually slightly less than "4 in two months". As of Friday last they had 93 approved instructors, not including the Head of Training, with 8 more due on line before Christmas. I think, in the great scheme of things, that's pretty "close to 100", don't you?

As to the 'Great Scandal', I understand we're talking about one instructor who, after sitting around drinking coffee all day, refused to fly a single trip at the end of the day. I don't know where the medical business came from, the words 'herring' and 'red' somehow spring to mind.

Meeb
25th Oct 1999, 00:58
I only mentioned 4 instructors because that is the number who have come to my company to work as aircrew. Being but one person I am sure there are many more leaving that I know nothing about!

Can someone say why OATS have raised their requirement to 500 hours?

rolling circle
25th Oct 1999, 03:14
OATS have lost 3 instructors in 2 months, 4 of whom have joined Meeb's company - someone's telling porkies!

So, Meeb, the leavers that I know about in Aug/Sept went to AirMed (Rudi), 'Loganair' as was (Steve) and Hunting (Piers). Which of those do you profess to work for and who are the 'Gang of Four'?

Meeb
26th Oct 1999, 21:53
Rolling, sorry bud, 3 have joined my company, I got it wrong saying 4! But I know of one who went to WMU, so that makes 4! Anyway, why are you arguing so strongly that OATS are not losing people? Chill. :)

rolling circle
26th Oct 1999, 23:08
The guy who went to WMU left OATS back in July, so we now have 4 in 4 months (no, apologies, one of the standardisers went to the CAA in October, makes 5 in 4 months). It's still not very significant for a school that size, is it? Most organisations would be delighted with a 10% turnover in the current jobs climate.

Jet A1
27th Oct 1999, 14:56
OATS has gained more instructors than it is lost almost to point where basic instructors are maybe getting 1 trip a day. One is off to BRAL as is another. Standards is working nonstop to get more on the line. Too many is better than too few as was the case last year. I am sure many more will refuse to fly SPIC trips as they will not be part of the bonus scheme. A little harsh ?

[This message has been edited by Jet A1 (edited 01 November 1999).]

straight&level
31st Oct 1999, 18:19
Its a bit unfortunate naming names.One person mentioned is in an Airlines holding
pool and hasn't handed in his notice.As far as I'm aware OATS has decided SPIC isn't instructional flying but it does count towards bonus payments.