PDA

View Full Version : Oz Grade 2 Instructor Rating-Hours Required

CR22
12th Jan 2000, 05:03
As this is my first post on thi site, hello all and I wonder if any Oz instructors can shed some light on a particular topic.

CAO 40.1.7 paragraph (b) states

"have logged at least 200 hours flight time instructing in other than the navigational sequences specified in the aeroplane syllabus that are relevant to the private pilot (aeroplane) licence "

Now my question. I know that in the past this 200 hour requirement (on top of the 50 x/country) was to be only ab-initio. But the wording in the CAOS has changed to the above mentioned paragraph.I have met a number of grade 2 instructors who have had the 200 hours made up of ab-initio, endorsements and CPL navigation exercises. As far as the wording of the paragraph goes, the 200 hours CAN consist of anything other than the navs for a PPL. Furthermore, since the Grade 2 applicant would have had a senior grade 3, he would have 100+ ab-initio so there is 100 hours left to be made up of "instructing in other than the navigational sequences ...that are relevant to the PPL"

Then again, as with a lot of the references in the CAO's, it is really open to interpretation.

Can anyone help as I am approaching the Grade 2.

Charlie Foxtrot India
12th Jan 2000, 05:42
There are a few different interpretations. You will have to ask your CFI as he/she is the one who will ultimately decide when you have the right blend of hours and when to recommend you for your Grade Two.

------------------

class-e
12th Jan 2000, 18:12
I also am approaching my Grade 2 (aus) and have broached this same subject with my CFI.
We sat down and read the relevant para's and decided that NO....it does not have to be 200 ab-initio hours.
250 total instruction.
50 x-country
200 anything else.

which means that you don't neccesarily have to be a snr G3!!!...as ther is no longer a stipulation on ab-initio hours!!!

Going thru my logbook, I breathed a sigh of relief...as I could now count Night-circuits/nav's...Refresher flights, endorsements etc.

My CFI says he will be happy to sign off on the above...
good luck with yours!

Checkboard
12th Jan 2000, 19:15
Of course, you knew that you should be paid as a Grade two instructor after you have logged 300 hours instruction regardless of you classification!

Have a look at the bottom of this page of the GA pilot's Award. (http://indrel.ausinfo.gov.au/html/awards/16/P0059/0/IA000320.htm)

[This message has been edited by Checkboard (edited 12 January 2000).]