PDA

View Full Version : Student crashes

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th May 1999, 23:39
Today my student whom I had sent on solo circuit consolidation screwed up his third landing, bounced, PIO'd, went for full power, lost control and ended up tearing the nose wheel off and stuffing the prop in.

I just wanted to share that.

We definitely do not get paid enough for this job. WWW

capt beeky
18th May 1999, 00:01
WWW.
My condolences. It happens to some, some of the time. There is no magic formula I can offer. Think how bad it was for the CFI at Bournemouth who sent his student on first solo, and then had to watch him use it as an opportunity to commit suicide by diving into the sea after completing a touch and go. A pal of mine ditched in the sea, he survived but his student didn't. If they walk away it could have been much worse. Make sure you, the student and everyone else learn so as to prevent repetitive accidents.

Make sure commercial pressures, either from above or from your need for hours/cash doesn't influence your decisions on safety. I try to ask myself how I will explain it to the coroner and the wife and kids. If the answer is not right, stay on the deck and TEACH!

Sorry you had such a nasty so soon after starting out as an instructor. Just think of the fun as a QFI when it happens on a first solo that you send up. There but for........ .

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th May 1999, 00:37
Yeah - the guy is not hurt or anything and the aircraft will be flying again in a months time. The runway here is very narrow and everything was done by the book in terms of training, briefing, weather, check rides and so forth. Still shook me up though.

Don't think I want to be a QFI now - no retainer can be worth that stress level!

Thanks for the kind words - http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif WWW

CHICKENTRAINER
18th May 1999, 11:42
G'day Weasley,

I'll bet if you had a prang in your car such that a month later it was back on the road and no one was seriously hurt, the thought of not driving again would not enter your head.

I can imagine your angst at seeing a student in trouble. I would be surprised if in time you don't look back on the incident as one of those things, as you regale the enthralled crowd at some future flying school celebration.

------------------
ChickenTrainer

Snigs
18th May 1999, 13:44
WWW,

I regularly read the AAIB monthly accident/incident bulletins, and in my estimation about 50% of the reported GA incidents happen during landing and involve nose wheel failure etc. and only about one a month (if that) involves a solo student. GA pilots with more hours than you can shake a fist at are still doing it, so don't worry about your own abilities as an instructor.

Get him up solo again, as soon as you feel it's possible, a few successful solo circuits will make you both feel a lot better.

Hell, it nearly happened to me recently, I was flying back into my local airfield on Sunday, windshear threw me at the ground, I bounced twice before I'd got full power on for go-around, circuit practice for me next time!! Moral = You never stop learning.

Charlie Foxtrot India
18th May 1999, 14:20
It's egos that suffer the worst damage at a time like this. The poor student may feel like everyone will be laughing at him/her, which to someone at that stage is often enough to make them ashamed to show their face at the flying school again. Important to make them realise it's not really such a big deal, **** happens and that's why we have insurance companies; and nosewheels are replacable.
How about a thread on "what is the biggest stuff up you (the instructor) have made" ??!!

------------------

Vigilant Driver
18th May 1999, 20:07
Bad luck WWW,

Alas, you are no longer a C Cat Instructor and now have to play with us big boys and girls sending those solos!

Some you win, some you don't!

Make sure you get your student flying again soon and when he is happy go back and revise the balloon exercise again!

Vigi

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th May 1999, 01:11
Thanks guys. WWW

Ausviper
19th May 1999, 13:52
Bad luck www. I've come close a few times while walking around the wind sock also. Aussie students don't seem to remember their instuctor saying go round if your not happy with the landing and so I've had my heart stop also!!! But I made it to grade one or QFI with no major problems.

sd
20th May 1999, 14:46
Hi,
Just as a matter of interest, what happens in the case of minor accident? Is there any record placed on the pilots log or can they carry on as if nothing happened?

Charlie Foxtrot India
20th May 1999, 16:34
A record of any incidents during training should be kept, including a signed statement of what happened in the student's own words, as part of the student's progress report; and for any investigation that may take place by the insurance company, air safety investigators, CASA/CAA etc.
If the pilot has been prosecuted for being reckless or negligent etc, there will of course be a permanent record with the licencing authorities.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Charlie Foxtrot India (edited 20 May 1999).]

Irish Steve
20th May 1999, 22:13
WWW,

Could have been a lot worse, there's that consolation.

Makes me wonder if there isn't a case to be made for having the instructor sit very close to a radio when low time students are solo, so that if things start to go wrong, there's a chance to say something that might help.

"Irish" Steve

capt beeky
21st May 1999, 00:10
Irish Steve
Many outfits, OATS for example do just that. A duty instructor is always available at Oxford. If students solo at a reserve landing ground like Wellesborne or Sywell an instructor has to be on the RT, even if just a hand held in the coffee shop. Its a good idea.

Captain Airclues
21st May 1999, 03:39

No matter how many hours a pilot has in his logbook, it is always possible to screw up the landing. The fact that this guy decided to do it after you had sent him solo is not your fault, and you should put it behind you. I can assure you that the satisfaction from your future successes will far outway the occasional hiccup.

Best Wishes

Airclues

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd May 1999, 04:04
I was in fact sat glued to the radio at the time. Two fairly spotless landings precipitated the eventful one. The runway was 04 and the wind was [actual] 05/11 with 9999 and 8/8 sc 4500. A 18m runway did not help but I am pleased to report the student is determined to gain his license and is progressing well. Happy landings everyone, WWW

[This message has been edited by Wee Weasley Welshman (edited 22 May 1999).]

GulfStreamV
24th May 1999, 13:16
WWW,

Sorry to hear about the mis-hap - glad no one got hurt!

What has your student learnt from his experience of this?

GulfstreamV

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th May 1999, 01:59
That an early go-around decision is vital plus rudder control on the runway is a priority. The rest of the pupils got a clear reminder that although the course is for fun it is also deadly serious. WWW

dreamer99
3rd Jun 1999, 08:01
WWW,
soloing a student is the scariest thing CFIs do. you can only do your best. Once, a good academic student with hard won flying skills failed the PPL ride due to stalls. A few hoursextra training and he passed the next week. I moved the next month and he crashed into a graveyard tryng to turn around and return to the runway after an engine failure. It seems he ws checking out in a Bellanca Super Viking (from a C152), had a CFI on board when he went in. I still wonder if I could have done anything better in my training and it was 20 years ago. Both died. On the upside, many student tell me that on every final approach they make, they hear my voice saying, "if the airspeed is right everything will work out fine." I promise you'll have way more good feelings about your decisions than negative ones.