PDA

View Full Version : THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT

luvly jubbly
7th Oct 1999, 06:47
Does anyone else here think that the JAA policy of giving examiners a hundred quid for the skill test can't be right.

I just think that this could be open to abuse. Don't know anywhere else where you give an examiner cash!
Particularly where safety is paramount.

------------------
What the Hell's that noise??

Charlie Foxtrot India
7th Oct 1999, 11:19
Is that cash as in not going through any auditable books, or as in paying them for their time?
Surely you can't expect an examiner to do it for nowt?

------------------

luvly jubbly
8th Oct 1999, 06:46
As far as I'm concerned, instructors and examiners should be paid a Hell of a lot more than they are. Every time they get airborne, some idiot in the LHS tries to kill them!!
However, at the moment, I'd like to keep training costs down, so you can all have your pay rise after I'm done!

I just don't know anywhere else where you pay your examiner cash directly!!
The old way was to pay the club, who would then give a cut to the examiner. (I suppose if it was your own aircraft, you always did pay the examiner direct.)

It leaves itself open to "Here's 300 quid - I need the rating!". Not that any examiners would take it, they shouldn't be put in that position.

------------------
What the Hell's that noise??

BEagle
8th Oct 1999, 11:26
Whereas BX Examiners were associated with flying clubs, the JAA is keen for FE (PPL(A)) s to be an independent body of examiners. Presumably this is because the rest of Euroland is so corrupt that having their own club examiners is considered to be too open to abuse. Although we still have 'club examiners', they cannot now examine their 'own students' - so they will probably fly less than they used to. FE(A) s now have to meet higher costs themselves for more frequent and more expensive medicals, observed dummy flight tests,etc, and they have to do a minimum of 2 skill tests or proficiency checks for each year of their authorisation period. As they may not be tied to a Club, they usually have to meet all these costs themselves and hence any payment for the PPL Initial Skill Test will probably be outside the Club's accounting. The gentlemens' agreed industry standard is around £120 per test plus whatever the Examiner's travel costs might be. For this you should get an Examiner who will possibly set off at the crack of dawn, travel to your aerodrome, study the met. to find a route which you can fly without difficulty, brief you, give you enough time to plan the en-route section of your trip, give you a sortie brief, fly with you for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, debrief you fully and go through your PPL application paperwork with you. We can just about complete 1 1/2 Skill Tests in a day at most places before the local noise regulations in the evenings curtail our activity....and then we've got to get home again. We WANT you to pass, but £120 for the test is viewed as reasonable by the CAA - particularly if it means that people won't attempt it until they're actually ready for it. Personally I would never ask for the fee before the test as I'm supposed to; I'd sooner ask the Club to put it on the applicant's bill and pay me themselves - but, of course, that could mean that some unscrupulous club could add-on their own 'adninistrative' costs for 'arranging' the Skill Test. I make the applicant aware that the fee is £120 and that they can either pay then, or under an arrangement with the Club. So if they get charged more, then they'll know. My own Club has published a standard scale of charges which our Examiners charge for various categories of Skill Test or Proficiency Check; we DON'T charge any Examiner's fee for IMC renewals or initial tests, night rating tests, bi-ennial JAA 'flight with an instructor' requirements or ground exams. I'm afraid the increase in costs can fairly and squarely be blamed on the CAA's acceptance of inflicting Eurocracy on what was previously a perfectly sound UK PPL training industry. Sorry Des!!

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 08 October 1999).]

[This message has been edited by BEagle (edited 08 October 1999).]

Meeb
8th Oct 1999, 22:37
Good one BEagle. However R/T examiners have still to be connected to a club! Its all going crazy this JAA stuff. :)

[This message has been edited by Meeb (edited 08 October 1999).]