PDA

View Full Version : Run-Ups at the Holding Point

Islander Jock
9th Jan 2000, 08:34
I have had a number of occasions recently being held up at the holding point waiting while the aircraft, usually a two seat trainer, in front does it's run ups and pre take off checks. This is despite the fact that ample run up bays are available and I am referring to daylight ops.

Damn frustrating watching the head in the aircraft look down at the check list, look at the panel then back down at the check list. All this while sitting in a twin operating at $400ph. Obviously anything said over the radio would only be seen as intimidatory and lead to terse verbal exchanges. Maybe a letter to the CFI of the offending organisation is in order.

The main offenders seem to be from a prominant training organisation at our airfield who just love to throw the word 'airmanship' into every sentence.

Any comments from the instructors out there?

NZ445
9th Jan 2000, 09:21
Good airmanship (Groundmanship for this matter) should be taught right from the start as it was taught to me. Why do an engine runup at a point where you can delay others, no matter if it's a B747 or a PA31 or a two seat trainer.

------------------
Yaw Dampers. Don't leave home without it!

de La Valette
9th Jan 2000, 13:27
Sheer bad manners and strong representation should be sent to the operator pointing out the costs to the student waiting behind in the queue. Failing that, let down their tyres overnight or doggie do on the door handles. They will soon get the message.

Charlie Foxtrot India
9th Jan 2000, 17:16
Example, yesterday we sent a stude for first solo. He did his checks in the run up bay, then another aircraft cut in front of him, taxiid to the holding point and spent several minutes on run-ups, even though there had been plenty of room in the run-up bay.

Well, at least our bloke was able to log 0.4 command time for one circuit!

A classic example of a lack of airmanship from the guy in the right hand seat with all the shiny gold bars... Not the first time it has happened, and contact with the organisation involved just produces defensive nonsense, such as "it's in case the plugs foul after the run-ups."

If that's the case, then what about everyone else's plugs?!

Puhleeze!

------------------

Angle of Attack
9th Jan 2000, 17:41
Islander Jock, Yes I agree, sometimes a little delay can be expected at an airport with no run-up bays , but if they are available everything should be ready to go as soon as the aircraft reaches the holding point. A letter to the CFI would be the best bet.

Teroc
10th Jan 2000, 16:48
Agree with all the above.
Theres got to be a safety consideration here too when theyre holding perpendicular to the active..what if the guy somehow looses or slips off the brakes while running the engine up when someone else is on short final...last thing you want is some guy shooting out onto the active when others are approaching...
Perhaps you could quote this potentially dangerous scenario in your letter to the
CFI ?

yarrayarra
17th Jan 2000, 08:41
I'd be happy to make a comment over the air- don't have to be too pointed. Somtimes people need to be prompted to think. A follow up to the owner/operator should set it right.
"It's not what you say, it's how you say it" that gets the message through. Crikey-imagine me repeating something my WIFE said!!!!!!

Hugh Jarse
21st Jan 2000, 23:32
IJ is it a common occurence or isolated? Sounds like it needs to be brought up at their standards meeting. Suggest you write a polite letter to their CFI, or a phone call. He/she probably doesn't even know it's going on.

apache
22nd Jan 2000, 15:51
I agree with yarra...say something over the radio...especially if talking to their CFI/CP has got you nowhere!!!
Try to go through proper channels first(ie word with the organisation), then polite words over the radio...then if that fails, be downright rude!!!!
If they are throwing round "airmanship" and then not applying it, make everyone aware!!!

Anyone holding me up will get this treatment!
:) :) :) :)

Islander Jock
22nd Jan 2000, 21:15
Jarse,

Yes the CFI obviously does know.

as per Charlie Foxtrot India's reply.