PDA

View Full Version : europa rumours

bingoboy
28th Jul 2004, 16:45
I have heard a rumour that Europa has gone into some form of administration. They had a full page ad in the PFA rally mag so don't know the validity of rumour. Anyone help with facts or better gen. as I was looking forward to a Europa for my retirement in a year or so.

smarthawke
28th Jul 2004, 18:29
There were certainly rumours along those lines at the Rally - and they weren't there.....

QNH 1013
28th Jul 2004, 18:49
I understand from the Europa Club Forum that "Europa" (can't remember its current legal name) are in administration. It also sounds as if a lot of the owners are being fobbed-off or ignored when trying to chase up ordered parts.

Rod1
29th Jul 2004, 07:40
Never mind, you could always get an MCR01 for your retirement instead. It will be finished in less time, so you will get more flying!

Rod1

sunday driver
29th Jul 2004, 15:56
They should have hired me as their sales manager when they were advertising a couple of years ago . . .

sd

locksmith
29th Jul 2004, 16:29
With so many accidents, i'm not suprised

Algirdas
30th Jul 2004, 11:43
This sort of confirms the old prejudice that the only way to make a million in aviation is to start with two.....
Actually, I think that the Europa may be a victim of the new breed of microlights - which are considerably easier to build, perform almost as well, and appeal to the same DIY mentality (like mine!).
And accidents do seem to come thick and fast with Europas - is it the coffin-dodger profile of the typical owner? Or is it the silly (from a skills required viewpoint) monowheel?
But I think the Europa is such an obvious classic and still a world beater, so it will be interesting to see what rescue plan pops out of the woodwork...... and watch the next small fortune being made (from a large one).
Now I've depressed myself :ugh:

smarthawke
30th Jul 2004, 12:39
I think you hit the nail on the head, Algirdas.

Why bother with hundreds of hours of dealing with nasty substances and the filling and sanding when you can just pop rivet something together?

The RVs need far more work than the current crop of lightweights (and in a more friendly material than the Europas) but their all round performance far exceeds anything that Europa or just about any other single engined aircraft can equal.

Flyin'Dutch'
30th Jul 2004, 12:58
Europas were the first of the 'new generation' homebuilds which applied the principle that you don't have to design your own nuts and bolts if you want to build your own plane.

That and the premise that it would be a modern machine with a good cruise speed and low fuel consumption made them extremely poplular and opened a new niche in the market.

Time has moved on and now there are many more models available which fulfill the dreams of having good speed, low fuel etc but are also quicker and arguable easier to build than a Europa.

Combine that with the, for some challenging, handling and prevalence of the Monowheels in the AAIB reports and you see why they are a lot less popular now.

You only have to look at the amount of Europas for sale (some virtually upon completion) and compare that with RVs and it is clear which one is the more desirable out of the two. And whilst it is not uncommon for folks to build more than one RV I think there are less folks who undertake to build a second Europa.

FD

Tango Oscar
9th Aug 2004, 07:41
Does anyone have any more information on this? I've tried calling the factory a couple of times, but no answer.

I'm not a Europa owner yet, and am quite close to parting with some money for a very nice flying example......

TO

locksmith
9th Aug 2004, 08:44
Don't think I would buy one at the moment.

Europa Management International Ltd., the company manufacturing and marketing the best selling Europa kits is in administration.

It seems the ‘significant investment’ spoken about by Keith Wilson, Europa MD in a statement issued at this year’s PFA Rally did not materialise.

We understand that there are customers who have ordered and paid for kit stages or spares without receiving the goods, while current builders and owners wonder if they’ll be able to complete their projects.

The administrators, Redman Nichols, asked for bids by 12 noon on Friday 30th July. It is not known how many, if any they received.

Guern
9th Aug 2004, 18:34
Hi Guys

A quick check on the free search on the companies house website shows it is in administration details as follows for administrator:

NICHOLS, ANDREW JAMES

Practitioner address: REDHAM NICHOLS
MACLAREN HOUSE
SKERNE ROAD
DRIFFIELD
EAST YORKSHIRE, YO25 6PN

map5623
9th Aug 2004, 20:45
If you check the Europa club website there is/was info on it.

Mike

Tarnished
9th Aug 2004, 21:24
Quote:
......to see what rescue plan pops out of the woodwork......

Think thats where the trouble lies - not enough wood work for rescue plans to pop out of:O