PDA

View Full Version : Syllabus time - does anybody finish in it?

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Oct 1999, 00:37
I was wondering if I am unusual in not habing students finish the 45hr PPL syllabus in 45hrs and be ready for test at that point.

I have recently enjoyed a student with high aptitude who has got to test standard in 51hrs and frankly I cannot see how he could have done it in less. I would say (big guess-ti-mate here) my average student has 60hrs before test standard is achieved (JAA skilltest).

Am I way out of step, about average or performing like Mr Yeagers nephew?

Spiral Dive
5th Oct 1999, 12:10
I'm really new to this, doing my PPL right this minute.
I always thought the national average was round about 55 - 65 hours? At least thats what I was told.....

I've done something like 47 hours now and my Skill Test is on the 23rd.

Tinstaafl
5th Oct 1999, 22:30
hmm.....think 'bell curve' - with 45 hrs (40 in Oz) being at a rather thin end of the curve. At least those few who are at that end of the curve aren't being restrained by having the 'average' experience at licence issue specified as the mandatory minimum.

My experience has been anywhere from 50 to 70 hours. Biggest 3 effects on it were frequency of lessons, Wx appropriate to the particular flight and age. Mostly frequency though. Discipline to prepare ahead of time also, of course.

Had one fellow get a PPL in Oz in 47 hrs but he had everything going for him.

------------------
Don't mess with the red switches.

Capt Homesick
6th Oct 1999, 03:15
I did my PPL in 38 hours: there was a PPL "approved course" in those days. By the time I was instructing, 40 was the min: only students with continuity and ability finished in anything like that number.
Most ex-FS cadets finished in just under 45- flying every day for a month helps! Best non-FS stude I ever had came in Saturday and Sunday every weekend, and every Bank Holiday, and finished in about 4 months, only having flown 43 hours. Fortunately, he finished before his wife could take out a contract on me!
Of course, being an excellent stude, he also came closer to killing me than any of the others- because he was good, I let my guard down in a situation which he couldn't quite handle. I learnt about instructing from that!

Teroc
6th Oct 1999, 14:13
Heard before that the "average" in the school im with is 60 hours...
Seems about right...

Teroc

luvly jubbly
8th Oct 1999, 06:57
Just passed my PPL(A) with 54hrs 30mins, taking 2 years to complete.

Would have done it in about 48 hrs if I hadn't got bloody married!
Why do women always get in the way of flying?

------------------
What the Hell's that noise??

Trojan
11th Oct 1999, 01:33
This is probably best answered by WWW - how come the place where you work does a PPL in three weeks - do they have unlimited hours built into that, and does the weather in the Valleys always hold out?

Dunx
13th Oct 1999, 06:31
Finished my PPL in 40 hours and 35 mins... :)

(In the days it was 40 hours min!)

Although, I was a Flying Scholarship stude and tagged my PPL straight onto the end of my FS course!

I can imagine it is difficult to get the course within the minimum required hours when lack of stude continuity is a factor!