PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a pilot for an airline

flyer from the iabb
31st Dec 1999, 20:34
Hello lads and ladys. I am wondering if the Irish airliners are recruiting cadets such as lingus and ryanair and also transaer where can you find out about it and what would the entry requirments be for this.
Also if You went to a flying club to get trained and u had to pay had £20,000 or so for all the licences such as ppl cpl and the multi engine licence for training could the goverment give you a grant to subsadise the total amount.
P.s is there any scheme out there so u can be trained as a pilot for an airline.

Please help me with this topic because i wrote off to lots of airliners lots of times for info and got no reply.
Also can you tell me the address for aer lingus at dublin airport. the recuritment address that is.

foxmoth
1st Jan 2000, 00:21
Sorry can't help you for ireland, but I think you might be better trying one of the other forums if it is the airlines you are after.
I also think you are being optomistic if you think £20,000 is enough for the licences you are after - good luck :)

flyer from the iabb
1st Jan 2000, 01:07
well how much are we speaking about so

NZ445
1st Jan 2000, 14:04
That amount of money will get U something in USA. Remember you've got to have at least: CPL, Multi rating, Instrument Rating and ATPL (Subjects). Thats the minimum and in UK or Ireland it would probably cost you a lot more than 20K.
Anyway don't let that stop U, there's always a way around things. Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by NZ445 (edited 01 January 2000).]

flyer from the iabb
1st Jan 2000, 16:39
how do u mean there is a way around things

also is there any grant u can get

luvly jubbly
2nd Jan 2000, 10:56
Initiative

No

DB6
2nd Jan 2000, 16:41
Use the archive facility to look for sponsorship schemes and also there is an Irish aviation web, can't remember the address but it'll be in the Pprune archives as well.

overwing
2nd Jan 2000, 18:49
Aer Lingus Employment Ph. +353 1 7052451.

You have no chance of a grant from the Government. 28-30K is more realistic. better still go to USA.

flyer from the iabb
2nd Jan 2000, 22:39
Nice 1 lads

NZ445
3rd Jan 2000, 09:16
Try Australia as well, even better, New Zealand. The only way I know of becoming an airline pilot is to work your way up. There is an Airline Cadet Scheme with CX, QF and even AN (Correct me if I'm wrong) for locals only. I suggest you try to contact your local airline again.

Cheerio

flyer from the iabb
4th Jan 2000, 02:17
thsnks alot nz225 but remember i am only 16

Capt Homesick
4th Jan 2000, 06:20
If you've got any family in the UK, trade on that connection for a Flying Scholarship from the RAF.
I don't know if it's still possible for an Irish citizen, but it used to be- essentially you are saying that you are interested in being a pilot with the RAF, and they are assessing your flying ability. It's only 20 hours, but it's a start!

NZ445
4th Jan 2000, 10:56
You didn't say you were 16!!!!!!!!

flyer from the iabb
4th Jan 2000, 21:10
Now u know dont u

NZ445
5th Jan 2000, 11:56
Hope the attitude doesn't show up in an airline interview.

flyer from the iabb
6th Jan 2000, 02:09
Well i am just stateing a fact

Sensible
6th Jan 2000, 02:59
"O" level English language may be a good starting point for you ! Can't be too good at filling in the application forms you know !

flyer from the iabb
7th Jan 2000, 01:57
Thanks for that sensible

Vin Diesel
15th Jul 2002, 15:18
What is it with the attitude amongst some of the younger wannabe's these days. Lets not forget what happens when personalities and intimidating personalities are in the LHS with a nervy junioy FO. Just cause you're in a rush to get into an airline job doesn't mean you're qualified to be rude, brash and abrasive. Spot on for reminding Flyer from the IABB that these qualities are not looked favourably on in interviews, and surely psychometric testing is designed to weed out these characters from the pool of applicants...