PDA

View Full Version : N-Reg move to G-Reg ?

FullyFlapped
26th Jul 2004, 23:03
Does anyone have any experience of buying an UK- or European-based N-reg'd plane, and then re-registering it on a G ?

I've searched the threads but no joy ....

Just looking for some advice on where to start, what's involved and what the costs are likely to be.

And NOT looking for a rousing chorus of "why bother, it's cheaper to set up a trust" etc etc - I'm aware of all that !

Thanks one and all ...

FF

2Donkeys
27th Jul 2004, 06:50
This is a relatively straightforward procedure.

The aircraft needs to be of a type approved by the CAA, and needs to have been built and maintained in accordance with the type certificate (not difficult in most types). All CAA ADs need to be complied with (in keeping with the planned Certificate of Registration type) and a Star Annual needs to be performed.

The aircraft will be inspected by a CAA Surveyor, a fee will be paid and a C of A issued.

The marginal costs over a normal Star Annual include the Surveyors visit (not a lot from memory) and the fitting of such CAA delights as the LV light.

Overall, it is much cheaper/easier to do it in this direction, than it is to put a G back onto the N.

2D

IO540
27th Jul 2004, 07:31
2D

Sure it isn't a typo to say N -> G is cheaper than G -> N ?

A G-reg Star Annual for a complex SEP is about £2500; on top of that are any mods, plus the removal of anything which isn't CAA approved. An N-reg plane could have a list of things that need removing for the CAA; even trivia like nonstandard wingtip lights.

In an extreme case, the N-reg could (e.g.) have a prop fitted for which the right paperwork isn't available.... it then has to be replaced... £10k

2Donkeys
27th Jul 2004, 07:46
I think I'd stand by my original.

If you G-reg has ever had a repair to a scheme not approved by the FAA (remarkably common), the repair needs unpicking and redoing. That applies equally to any repairs performed on previous registries.

Any non-standard (non-TSOd) radio kit needs to come out, you need to prove that the materials used for the interior would meet an FAA flame test, all replacements parts in the history of the aircraft to have a 337 available etc etc etc

I am convinced that it can be made prohibitively expensive for any aircraft to be put onto the N if the DAR is of a mind to do so. Fortunately, most are not that way inclined.

2D