PDA

View Full Version : C185 star-annual costs?

Mak
26th Jul 2004, 13:02
I'm considering buying a share in a 1979 C185. First time I'm considering owning a piece of an a/c so it is quite stressful. The aircraft in question is in reasonable condition but there are two items that worry me somewhat:

Last year it had some corrosion cleaned from inside the wing. Is this something you expect from a 30 year old a/c or once started can only get worse until the wing is written off?

The second problem is that the CofA renewal is due later this year. I'm sure these can vary widely but from others experiences how much do these usually cost, assuming that nothing too large (i.e. engine, prop, wings) needs replacing?

Thanks all for the help.

Mak

S-Works
26th Jul 2004, 13:12
expect around £5k for a typical annual. corrossion is generally not a problem on a cessna if recognised and treat. the beaty of them is most parts can be replaced cheaply (in aviation terms!).

when considering buying a share in an airplane go in with your eyes and wallett open. If you are budgeting only being able to buy a share based on the typical costs when the big costs come in which they always do they will make your eyes water!

A lot of groups I have seen end up grounded because one or more of the members have bought in on a shoe string and have not been able to meet there commitment when the big bills arrive. I will only own my aircraft on my own but do realise this is not possible for everyone.

You need to do the math of number of hours flown against renting cost to ensure it is viable. Aviation is not cheap and owning an aircraft is owning a hole in the sky that you constantly try to fill with your hard earned cash.

But once you are happy with all that welcome to to the fun and freedom that owning your own aircraft gives you!!! There is nothing like just being able to drag it out the hanger and go flying!

And I forget to mention the whacking great CofA fee to the CAA which is based on the weight of the aircraft. Mine was about £450 last time.

Mak
26th Jul 2004, 15:40
boxe-x,

Thanks for the notes. Luckily I have a resonably open wallet but not so open I can afford an a/c on my own. The CofA in this case is around 700!! It may be worth moving it to the Nreg just because of that... and out of spite! (It's always good to rant about the CAA but on a cool head I do think that it's not fair to change every taxpayer for the hobby of a few as it happens in the US).

Happy to hear about the corrosion issue. That was frightening me quite a lot.

Flyin'Dutch'
26th Jul 2004, 16:15
If the CofA is so nearby it would perhaps not be entirely unreasonable to negotiate something a bit more favourable than just to be expected to pay your 1/3rd share in that, or it should be reflected in the share price from the outset.

FD

TonyR
26th Jul 2004, 16:36
There is no reason to pay £5,000 for any annual inspection on a C185 unless there is major work to be done.

Pilots accept too much from engineers without question.

If the same engineer is doing the work and knows the aircraft, he should be able to give you a good estimate of the cost.

Pilots should question everything and look at work sheets. If we all did this we may be in a better position to hold the rogue engineers to account.

An honest company will be happy to explain everything.

Tony

JoshCritchley
26th Jul 2004, 16:37
How could you turn your back on that cute little red Super Decathalon.....?!!! :O :O

S-Works
26th Jul 2004, 21:25
The question was about a star annual and I have rarely seen a cheap annual done properly!

You get what you pay for in this world. When I bought my last Cessna it was fresh of an annual with "another" maintance company that were "cheap" when we put right all the things that were wrong or just missed the bill was not cheap.

Believe me I am as tight as a gnats arse when it comes to money and I pull holes in the bills. There is always something that needs fixing or replacing on annual.