PDA

View Full Version : Job market

Wee Weasley Welshman
4th May 1999, 10:57
My experience inthe UK is as follows:

Got rating issued three weeks ago. Had received two fiem job offers BEFORE the rating was issued. One in the Midlands and the other in North London. Having qaulified I was offered another job without asking for one and the one I did ask for I got.

Having been in that job for a a week or so now I am well on target for 100hrs a month!

Pay is ten quid an hour for flying with a 300 pound per month retainer kicking in after about 6 weeks service. If somebody with a spanky new rating asked me today I could probbaly get them lined up with a job by next week.

In my opinion there is one hell of a shortage of instrcutors already and its going to get worse. Much worse. Happy flying guys - WWW

ps we really must all try to use this forum more...

Snigs
4th May 1999, 12:26
WWW, your words are encouraging. I hope that the situation remains the same into next year, when I hope to be following in your footsteps (though probably not at W'pool, I keep getting caught out with the 1500' circuit level, as you probably witnessed!!!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif )

Sorry that our timing was out on Fri, I would have enjoyed quizzing you about your experiences so far, oh well, you can still enjoy the coffee though ;)

------------------
Cheers,

Snigs

Grandad Flyer
5th May 1999, 00:06
I think the CAA should close the "loophole" (or perhaps it should be open a new loophole) so that airline pilots could instruct in their (masses of) spare time. I never did my instructor rating although I flew with many new PPLers and lost count of the number of people who said I should instruct. The rating is expensive though, and for us lucky enough to be working for the airlines, all instructing hours count towards maximum duty and flying limits, as they are "commercial" flying hours, whereas flying yourself about using your PPL isn't. It is a shame as I feel that it doesn't affect the day job as you do not suffer anything like the same fatigue instructing, as it is a welcome change from flying the big jets.
If the CAA could address this problem, it would help. There are many, many airline pilots who have lapsed ratings but given a push would do some p/t instructing, if the company would allow it.

capt beeky
5th May 1999, 01:31
Grandad
Good job the CAA won't countenance your idea. It would put www and a lot of other folk out of a job. I suspect however that the quality/value for money would go up.

Dont forget that your starting at the boom time as far as hours are concerned. Wait till Autumn, your income will drop in a big way. Budget accordingly. Hope you keep the quality up and don't become one of the many young PPL instructors who skimp (don't do long and pre-flight briefs). To do the job properly takes at least 2/3 hours work for each hour in the air, unless of course its done the US way - tell the student to read the book or watch the video.

pilotbear
5th May 1999, 03:02
Thank you wee weasley

This is what I want to hear except when I get my AFI in November the country will be closing down for the winter.

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th May 1999, 10:55
Guys at my school regularly knock out 60 - 70 hours a week during the winter months. As long as you find a busy school the slightly worse weather and shorter day need not see you starving on the breadline it seems...

Judging by the instructors who have recently left it looks like you only need 700hrs to get a regional job or at worst a twin air taxi position. Don't think I'll be instructing for very long somehow if the hiring boom keeps going which is a shame because I am enjoying the hell out myself.

Snigs - sooooo sorry to have missed you the other day but after a misted in morning I was working the hell out of the afternoon by doing two hour sorties. Thanks for the fan mail and the coffee money was spent on a pint of Stella in the Horseshoe last night - thank you.

Happy flying chaps, WWW

pilotbear
5th May 1999, 12:19
Apparantly cabair have purchased Euroflight at Kissimee in Florida.
I know this because I was flying at Winterhaven at the time it happened and one of the PPl examiners was the owner of Euroflight and he is now the MD of the new company.
His name is Mark (can't remember his surname).
Euroflight were quite a good organisation.
Cabair have the reputation (allegedly)of being a bit of a production line.

I guess whether you get on there depends on what sort of instructor you are, hour builder (squeeze an extra 10hrs out of the student)or teacher .

Grandad Flyer
5th May 1999, 18:40
Captain Beeky, but I thought everyone agreed there is a lack of instructors out there? Therefore if us airline pilots filled in when necessary a)full time instructors would keep their jobs and do as much flying as they like but b)there would be enough instructors available. Don't you think?

capt beeky
6th May 1999, 22:19
Grandad.
True enough. This thread shows how WWW and no doubt many others are only instructors to achieve the 700hrs. Im sure he will do a good job but it would be nice if instructors were dedicated to it as a profession. I left for bigger things because of the low pay/conditions, even at the top of the tree.
If the ranks are filled with people like us what hope is there for the young uns getting decent conditions. I don't remember seeing many happy instructors in PPL crew rooms in the winter fogs. From anyones point of view getting experience into the PPL training system is a great thing to be encouraged. Many ATPL's (inc myself) do just that having kept our ratings valid. Getting the CAA to give anyone a quick route to QFI is I think 'wishing on a star' Bon-chance.
I heard recently that the CAA are still asking candidates to calculate multi-drift winds on the Whiz wheel. The RAF dropped that in 1960. Are 747s that get lost over the oggin expected to descend to 50', drop a smoke flare and then make three runs at the flare for the navigator to make the calculation? Next thing they will be asking about early ADF systems, manual plotting and other Hi tech stuff...... .

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th May 1999, 22:53
Hours building to a CPL/ATPL I may be but I have taught Air Cadets to fly as a volunteer weekender throughout University and after. Having been trained by the ATC and checked annually by CFS I then did the FI course. I also worked for two years as an Industrial Training officer where I taught adults every day and attained several professional qualificatins in vocational training along the way. I've been through the civvy PPL course the RAF UAS course, the Air Cadets Gliding Course and so on. My fellow instructors seem to have similar kinds - although different - backgounds. We are not all one season wonders who couldn't give a toss for about the student.

I take your point however and it is perfectly valid. Hopefully JAA will result in more career instructors and this will be 'a good thing'. Safe flying, WWW