PDA

View Full Version : What do I have to do and is it worth it?

Retreating Blade Stall
27th Sep 1999, 01:03
Hello folks,
I have just completed a long aviation career in the RAF followed by a civil flying career. Whilst I have about 3000 hrs fixed wing and I am currently a member of a flying club and own an aeroplane (C172 part share), most of my flying has been on helicopters (north sea).I once had an RAF A2 instructors rating on helicopters. The thing is, I would like to get a civil instructors rating on aeroplanes. However,I don't want to be tied down to a full time job. I would prefer to do just 2 or 3 days a week as and when it suits me. I will be 62 years old in 6 months. I have an ATPL(H), and a CPL(aeroplanes) with instrument ratings on both which have just gone out of date.
Assuming I pass the instructors course, would anyone want to use me on a part time basis and at what age would I legally have to stop the job? I live in East Anglia not far from Norwich.
Any sensible advice welcome!!!

climbs like a dog
27th Sep 1999, 16:55
Have you seen the number of adverts for full and part-time instructors in either Flight, Pilot or Flyer? Flying schools are even advertising now, coming up to winter! With your experience I'd have thought that most schools would bite your arm off.

If you do a search on "instructor shortage" this seems to crop up in some threads and certainly there seems to be a forthcoming shortage as the 700hr route to a CPL winds down.

As to the part-time bit, I do 2 days a week as an FI(R)/AFI (mortgage means I can't afford to do it full-time) and I have recently changed schools and having put my details around, I've had more than one job to go to. I can't say what work is around in your neck of the woods but I've seen adverts within the past year for a Norwich-based flying school (I think :) ).

Not sure about the age related bits. Sorry. The only thing here would be your medical where I presume you would have to maintain a class one medical.

Hope this is of some use.

------------------
Get there eventually

[This message has been edited by climbs like a dog (edited 27 September 1999).]

airmail
27th Sep 1999, 18:50
C.L.A.D.

Under what circumstances did you get your part-time job?

I'm just embarking on a career, and like you, the mortgage won't allow me to instruct full time. Are there part time opportunities for low hour AFI's (or whatever under JAR) or is it only people with experience like RBS who will be able to get them?

climbs like a dog
27th Sep 1999, 19:18
Airmail

Where have you done your hours building to date? If you approached them they may have an opening if you were to do the course. Another good way is to work for the place you do your FI(R) rating (if they'll have you :) ).

Me, I worked for a club where I did my hours building. It wasn't the best of arrangements but it has given me some experience upon which to move.

I think that most schools would give you a try as the regular supply of instructors passing through the 700hr route is drying up. The key, however, is getting the rating and doing well on the course.

That having been said there are some schools which will suit better than others. The way a school allocates students to instructors for instance, do you need floats to use the airfield in winter, etc.

It's one of the best ratings you'll do in terms of polishing your flying and will also teach you loads once you've got the rating. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I didn't notice from your profile whether you'd done the commercial exams or not, because you do have to have done them.

------------------
Get there eventually

[This message has been edited by climbs like a dog (edited 27 September 1999).]

Meeb
27th Sep 1999, 23:08
R.B.S., as long as you can maintain a class 2 medical you can continue flying up to any age if on aerial work which is what PPL instructing is. You should have no trouble getting part time work, maybe you should look at FIC qualifications as well, make yourself even more valuable! You will have no trouble with the instructors course from your A2 background, you will also be exempt from a formal course, you will just have to do suitable training to pass the test, good luck!

Retreating Blade Stall
29th Sep 1999, 22:39
Thank you very much for the info gents. I am encoUraged to carry on from here. I am not sure an ancient A2 QHI qualification will get me a short QFI course, but you never know. What does FIC stand for?
Stay airborne and happy,
RBS

------------------

Meeb
30th Sep 1999, 01:31
Flight Instructor Course. It means you can train wannabe instructors.