PDA

View Full Version : Too Do...... or not to do, This is the Question!!

Ace on Base
27th Dec 1999, 14:05
Merry Xmas all, and best wishes in the New Year..... And all that!

I am just looking for constructive criticism and even advice from those of the Instructing fraternity with a little experience, and maybe in the know. In order to answer my questions, you will probably need to know this:

I have approximately 1300 hours TT, 300 instructing hours, Hold an Australian Grade 2 instructor rating, have about 60 hours I.F (also approx. 100 hrs teaching I.F. on Frasca 142 simulators to airline cadets), and about 60 hrs TT on twin engine aircraft.

My questions are as follows:

1) Multi Engine Training Approval - Should I spend the money and do this approval to become more employable?
2) Command Instrument Rating Training Approval – As above?
3) Has anyone got any opinion as to my experience V’s The above?
4) When is “enough experience” enough experience to teach the above?
5) If the CASA Deem that I am competent to hold the above approvals after testing, Will this enhance employment prospects?

Any replies are greatly appreciated, and eagerly awaited.

[This message has been edited by Ace on Base (edited 27 December 1999).]

Checkboard
27th Dec 1999, 14:21
It depends upon what your goal is. The airlines really don't care about single hours after the 1000 mark or so, if the airlines are your goal you need to progress to twin time.

If there is enough work on instructing twins at your current location, then the twin thing is a good thing to have. If not then you need a twin charter job - but the instrucing ticket can sometimes help with this.

Yes, I would say that you have enough expierience to instruct in the advanced sequences - if you learn your stuff well, and keep learning.

It is pretty rare for an airline to hire staight off the instructing ranks, but this is because the flying hours/age thing for instructors is usually pretty low. To get, say 2000 hours on twins instructing can take 6-7 years plus, as opposed to 2 years in a solid GA job.

Certainly the airlines have no objections to instructor time (I was an instructor for three years).

de La Valette
28th Dec 1999, 15:04
Ace on Base. Is your 60 hours I/F a combination of dual in-flight and synthetic trainer? Sixty hours I/F in your log book is a significant amount for your total time of 1300 hours. I presume you have a Command instrument rating. If you do not have a CIR then the only way you could claim 60 hours I/F would under instruction in an aeroplane or synthetic trainer. If you personally are teaching I/F to students under the hood or in the synthetic trainer, you cannot claim this as I/F in your log book. The reason I mention all this is that airline interview boards may query the validity of your claimed I/F hours. No offence meant.

Ace on Base
29th Dec 1999, 05:21
DLV.... Thats cool, No offence tacken!!

The IF time I have accumilated is a combination of dual and solo, in flight and simulator (term used loosely).

I have over 100 hours teaching I.F. to Chinese students in Fraska 142 simulators (configured for C-310) which is kept seperate from my logbook.

Oh, and yes - I have ME CIR

Regards ACE

------------------
"Keep Smilin' Sunshiners!!"

PapaSmurf
29th Dec 1999, 07:18
Re your query as to the validity of obtaining twin training approval: I tend to think it's a good thing to have, even if you don't plan on staying on as an Instructor for the long term. I know of quite a few GA operators (not involved in flight training) who look favourably on twin training approval - as it enables them (through your approval) to endorse new starts under you on type, instead of having to send them elsewhere. It's only one point, but a worthwhile one I think. In short, you can never be over-qualified in this industry.

Checkboard
29th Dec 1999, 08:57
I knew a guy who let his meployer know he had twin training, and as a result lost his promotion to Metro command, as the employer wanted to keep him on the pistion fleet, doing endorsements under the C&T system!

Hugh Jarse
29th Dec 1999, 12:28
If you wish to continue along the instructing path, then get your twin approval first. The reason I say this is that as a holder of a CIR, you automatically get IFR training approval with your Grade 1. The only reason you wouldn't want your Grade 1 is if you don't want to do Instructor School.

You really should focus on getting the approvals, because there's nothing worse than getting your students to the point where they're ready to move on to advanced training, only to have to pass them on to someone else.

Any employer worth it's salt won't worry about whether you instructed or not. Those who don't, make excuses for not liking instructors. But it's just that-excuses.

Many of my colleagues from instructing are scattered to the 4 winds: Mostly regionals and majors in Oz, and a few O/S. Instructing hasn't hurt their prospects much!

NZ445
1st Jan 2000, 15:29
CX direct S/O entry

1000 TT
ATPL subjects

Preferably some Turbine time.