PDA

View Full Version : Dunnunda Question

Oz_Pilot
6th Sep 1999, 17:17
I'm wondering if any Sydney based instructors have seen any reduction in student/increase in costs for training at Bankstown or Camden as a result of the location specific pricing. Also, has there been a shift to lighter aircraft? My understanding is that a 152 costs 1/2 as much as a PA28 to land at Bankstown.

Charlie Foxtrot India
8th Sep 1999, 16:27
I don't know about over East, but in Jandakot it hasn't made much difference in terms of student numbers. Those who have started training after it was implemented knew no different, the ones in the middle of their training didn't like it but on the whole accepted it as inevitable.
A 152/PA38 costs $5.11 for ASA and $8.00 for Jandakot Airport Holdings, a PA28/C172 is $7.11 for ASA and $8.00 for JAH per landing, and they are all 2.40 for a touch and go.
The biggest difference is in the time management have to spend each month auditing reams and reams of landing fee bills! Overall costs have gone up for other reasons; privatisation, workers comp premiums and now the fuel price hike, to name a few.

------------------

Meeb
8th Sep 1999, 22:27
Let me get this straight, you guys down under now have to pay landing fees for touch 'n' goes? Your system down there is in danger of getting as bad as it is here, well, maybe not that bad! Anyway, if its true that you now have to pay for touch 'n' goes, it must be coz Manchester Airport bought your FAC! (They did I think, or am I wrong on this?)

Ozgrade3
10th Sep 1999, 16:31
My first thought after reading CFI's post was thank god I'm not flying at Jandakot. It's a little bit better at Bankstown as there is 1 only handling charge for movements. For circuits, only the last landing attracts the fee. C-152 $6-00, Warrior/Archer $8-00, Duchess $12-00.

As far as student starts, it's getting very quiet out here on weekends, some days have seen 2 hours total flying for the company. There has definetely been some downturn as I remember, a few years ago, there was often a queue of aircraft waiting to take the runway.

Thanks to AOPA, really helped our cause!!

Islander Jock
10th Sep 1999, 17:58
Ozgrade3

Be careful what you say about our wonderful private pilots lobby group.

Danny gets letters from "bottom feeders" and we all get chastised by the moderator.

But yeah, you're right. They've become remarkably quiet since Location Specific Charging.

[This message has been edited by Islander Jock (edited 10 September 1999).]