PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL Issue

south coast
21st Jul 2004, 16:44
Some information please from those of you out there who understand and know the law...

I believe to fly in command of a plane over 5700kgs, one must have an ATPL.

In order to open one's ATPL one must have a multi crew type rating.

I am flying the Beech 1900, which is certified by the manufacturer as a single crew plane, but is in excess of the 5700kgs.If I was able to get an instructor to come out to South Africa to use my companies simulator and give me a type rating on my JAA CPL, would this count as a mutli crew type rating and thus allow me to exchange my CPL for an ATPL, as I meet all hour requirements for licence issue.

I am really confused as to how I can upgrade my CPL to an ATPL, i meet all hour requirements, just no type rating, and how does one get a type rating without having a job with an airline...is there no way one can open ones ATPL licence the private way, ie. like in the USA or South Africa????

Thanks in advance....

Tinstaafl
22nd Jul 2004, 02:10
Aircraft weight is irrelevent. It's all about whether or not your experience was in a type certified for single crew or not.

If more than two pilots then an ATPL required ONLY for PIC.

If you don't have the required multi-crew experience then you don't meet the requirements**

**with a caveat: In the UK, IF you can demonstrate that under the rules of the country in which tghe experience was gained - even if it was a single pilot aircraft - then you may be able to meet the 500hr multi-crew requirement.

blody tipos

agen

south coast
22nd Jul 2004, 17:57
thanks...

i applied for the mcc exemption, and they gave it to me on the strength of my time in a multi crew operation, even if on a certified single crew plane.

so, i also think they will accept 500 hours multi crew, on a single crew plane...

thats why i say i meet all the requirements.

you know in usa and sa, when you meet hour requirements, you just do a flight test in a baron or some training twin and there you go, atp licence in your hand...

why is jar so difficult????

rmmonteiro
23rd Jul 2004, 00:33
south coast,

under the JAA , you must have the ground school for ATPL theory, that , and all the requirements, will give you ATPL.

OR.... if you just finished your ground and flight school, if you do not meet the requirements, yopu will have a FROZEN ATPL .

cheers.

RMM

south coast
23rd Jul 2004, 11:14
thanks, perhaps i didnt explain myself clearly.

i have completed the cpl/ir flight tests and passed all atpl ground theory exams.

i meet all hour requirements for atpl.

i am exempt the mcc.

the only thing i do not have is a multi pilot type rating.

is it just black and white now, no multi pilot type rating-no atpl issue?

orangesky
23rd Jul 2004, 12:31
hi south coast

as far as i know (i stand to correction here) i think the sim needs to be "authorised" by CAA (JAA) if you are going to be doing any type rating which you want added to your JAA licence, so flying an instructor out, i think wont be much help.

cheers

B

pilot dude
28th Jul 2004, 11:36
HI Southcoast,

Just out of curiousity,

I'm looking to get my B300 - B1900 typerating valid again, Which company do you fly for that has their own sim, anw would it be possible to do my B1900 checkride with them

PD

RAPA Pilot
3rd Aug 2004, 23:22
Hay there Si,
How's it going?
Got the cpl/ir then and still on the B1900 up in North Africa.
Sounds like You are finally ready to come in from the hot and get a clean job in the homeland. Can't help you with the law Q. but knowing the JAA/CAA they just make it up on the phone depending on who's on excuse duty and bull sh*t detail for the day.
As for me. I got a job in Germany flying turbine Islanders for the Army. So no more miserable PPL's to winge about out of SOU.
We still got a pub in Otterbourne and I'll be back after a six week exercise in Cypres for Chrismas. If you are home in December give me a call or an email and you could come up for a drink, some grub and stay over if you like.
Let me know what you are up too.
Regards
Colin.

Oh yer my old handle was Cubby but I forgot my pissword so it's RAPA Pilot now on account of me working for the Rhine Army Parachute Association.

:ok:

Jelly Doughnut
5th Aug 2004, 21:11
Howzit Si
might be worth giving Rossair Europe a call, over in Holland, they fly the 1900 but I'm not sure what license the crew have.
Also I seem to remember Atlantic Aviation, in Coventry, had a Metroliner which, same as BE200/1900, is certified single pilot therefore no good for ATPL in JAALALA land, but some of their pilots got an exemption and managed to open their ATPL. Can't remember the exact details but might be worth giving them a call.
Keep up the work, it will pay off
cheers
JD