PDA

View Full Version : Lancair / Glasair kit-built

Bird Strike
21st Jul 2004, 13:34
After reading your replies on my 150kt+ aircraft thread, I got curious about kit-built ones and looked at Lancair and Glasair sites.

What drew my attention in particular were Lancair PropJet, Lancair IVP and Glasair III (but especially Lancair PropJet). They seem pretty high performance :ooh: and interesting.

Does anyone here have any experience with building or flying these types? If so, please tell me about it.

It won't really be for the purpose of cost saving, but rather for the experience of building one.

P.S. I will be merely assisting the building process, as I am clueless.

deing
21st Jul 2004, 15:18
Don't think there are any Propjet Lancairs in Europe, there are a few Lancair IV's in Europe but not in Britain. Main problem is IFR, it's only allowed in a few countries for experimentals (Luxemburg, Sweden) and with those speeds I would find that a must.
I think there are about 15 Glasair 3's in Europe, currently only 1 flying in Britain (saw it at the PFA). There's a Turbine G3 being built in Britain (G-ICBM) which should be ready in about 6 months, If they can get that to work that would be an interesting airplane.
Would like to compare that with my Glasair 2

Deing

MikeJ
21st Jul 2004, 19:55
Bird Strike,
On your '150kt' post, I suggested Glasair, as my G1 with 160hp exceeds your requirement by 20kts. You have obviously become hooked by this undreamt of world of unbelievable performance with superb flying characteristics!
'Deing' understates the G3's in the UK - there are about 5 flying, and some more building in addition to the turbine one.
At least one of these is on a CAA approved programme to be accepted for IFR/night flight.
However, I understood that you are in Aussieland, where your powers that be did a major analysis several years ago. Sensible people they are, and, subject to some straightforward and reasonable checks, they allow homebuilts to fly with all privileges of certified a/c. See the website of the Oz equivalent to the PFA - www.saaa.com.

Mike

Bird Strike
22nd Jul 2004, 08:05
Thanks Deing and MikeJ.

MikeJ, yes I never really discovered the world of kit-built till you mentioned Glasair. In fact I thought that kits were mainly for microlights!

It's just another of bizarre ideas that I am having probably, but it does seem like a very interesting world out there where you can get some great performance out of an "experimental" aircraft.

Did you build your G1 yourself MikeJ? I guess the kit manufacturers' estimated work-time required should be doubled, judging from what I read (did a search lol) here? Or was your Glasair construction time about the same as manufacturers' estimate?

Yes I am indeed in Australia, am going to check the regulations this weekend to make sure that we can operate IFR with an amateur built.

deing
22nd Jul 2004, 17:43
Mike,

There is indeed more then 1 G3 flying in the UK, apart from GBOVU at Deenethorpe there's GBSAI at Booker but that's it I think. GBODI also flies but that one is based in Germany

Do you know who is doing the IFR certification in Britain?

Deing

surely not
23rd Jul 2004, 17:34
There's a Glasair that flies out of Shoreham.....not sure if it's a G1 or G3? Very nice machine.