PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL ?

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Feb 1999, 12:43
Given that fact that I'm about two months away from gaining an AFI ticket I could use some clarification on this matter. Presumably from Jul 1st this year there will be a new JAR PPL syllabus available. Will schools have to teach this or can they carry on with the old CAA one? What will be the advantages and pitfalls for students doing either route? What will the new JAR PPL requirements/syllabus be? If it proves more expensive (as if its going to get cheaper!) will this reduce the number of people learning for their PPL and will this hurt my employment prospects?

"Golf Whiskey Whiskey Whiskey presently unsure of position, estimate uhhh 8 miles uhhh North East of uhhhh Little Piddlington..." WWW

seaman_stains
19th Feb 1999, 03:48
hiya www,
I'm in a similar position to you although i have yet to get the cpl's out of the way ..well done on your passes recently anyway.
The JAR PPL will increase to something like 45 hour course. What will affect people will be the 5 yearly life cycle of the JAR and the currency requirements. Certainly I wouldn't recommend getting the multi instructors rating.. cant see many people wanting to hire twins with the new requirements.
There will be a time soon when all new applicants for the UK PPL will have to start under the JAR course with those on the UK CAA course being able to keep on track as long as they complete before 2000.I have a copy of the AIC's at home as well as the Campbell JAR books. I'll try & dig em out .
seaman..... alias slackbladder.. ruddy reregistering... moan groan.

seaman_stains
19th Feb 1999, 04:00
www..
Have a look at the Flyer homepage... (www.flyer.co.uk), they have some JAR sections which may help. Both Flyer & Pilot magazines have recently run articles relating to the JAR PPL. Try the AIC's via the NATS page as well cos i know some recent listings relate to the implementation dates.
WWWegawds..

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Feb 1999, 15:58
Cheers Slackie! Send me an Email so we can yarn about how damn attractive I am! So you're going to join 'The Twenty Minute'rs' are you? Tally Ho, Chocks away - Last one backs a Homo! Huzzah! WWW

spamcan
20th Feb 1999, 03:21
Hi WWW. The JAA thingy works like this.
Basic 45 Hrs. 10 Hrs. solo. No requirement for 4 Hrs. Inst.But must be able to VOR/ADF track. Basicaly the whole course is a lot easier to teach. You work your guts out to get them solo, teach them Nav (inc.VOR tracking),do some landaways and send them on their Qual. X-Ctys.They now need 5 Hrs. Nav solo.The skill test is a NFT/GFT combine which is OK as the orig. NFT was quite demanding to teach.All my students seem to like the new sylabus, although you can still teach to the old one.
Anyway. Thats enough about that, i'm halfway through my I/R at EGHH and students are the last of my concern!!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Feb 1999, 16:25
I presume that even though one qualifies shortly as an AFI following the old CAA format one can teach the JAR syllabus without further training? Just buy the syllabus guide or something? WWW