PDA

View Full Version : First Instructing Job Horror Stories! (dedicated to WWW)

Charlie Foxtrot India
19th Aug 1999, 06:54
Poor ol' WWW is having a bad time with his job...any other horror stories out there to share with us all and make him feel better?

My first instructing job we had to do an 80 hour week. No days off, no holidays, no pay unless you flew; and it was a very foggy place! As there was no accomodation at that location, I was told that I would have to live in a tent. Other instructors were expected to share hotel rooms with their students. We had to do briefings in the airport departues lounge. In the six weeks I was there, two CFIs came and went. The aircraft? Don't ask! Average weekly earnings, about 20 quid.

So c'mon all, lets hear some stories, without naming any names!

------------------

Tinstaafl
19th Aug 1999, 22:58
The owner/MD of the company & CP of the charter side (with a junior Grade 3 instructor rating) telling me (his CFI) that he knows better when a student is ready for 1st solo than I do.

The guy was a shonk and closed up shop a few years ago. Good riddance.

Oh! And forgot to say, that's without ever flying with the student!
------------------
Don't mess with the red switches.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 23 August 1999).]

CHICKENTRAINER
21st Aug 1999, 06:32
Absolute TOSSER of a Chief Instructor with RPT background. He wanted 15 minute turn around between flights.

The preflight brief was to be done on the way out to the aircraft and the debrief was to consist of telling the student what mistakes thay had made (no positive reinforcement) on the way back to Ops Room to collect next student.

------------------
ChickenTrainer

Meeb
22nd Aug 1999, 21:53
15 minutes between flights, eee luxury, when I were a lad we had to start the next lesson before the last lesson finished... :)

capt beeky
24th Aug 1999, 00:36
When it was quiet (all winter) the AFI's were tasked with fetching shopping, washing his car, in summer it got worse. The team spirit was great, but I don't miss those days. Four blow jobs beats one little screw!

Capt Homesick
25th Aug 1999, 02:18
How about the CFI/MD who canned me at the end of the Flying Scholarship season, with 3 days notice, then told an incoming BCPL student to call my landlady for digs, as my room would be available!

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Aug 1999, 11:13
Oooh, nice touch.

Does anyone know if there is a way of obtaining the data for FI(r) rating issues made by the CAA?

I would be interested to see how many are coming through the system.

Cheers, WWW

mrzippo
25th Aug 1999, 20:17
Capt homesick,
Dare i ask which airfield that was?

Squealing Pig
25th Aug 1999, 22:27
WWW is this what your looking for ?
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/FCL_OutputDetail.htm

------------------
Push forward - Pigs get bigger
Pull back - Pigs get smaller
Pull back some more - Pigs get bigger again

Meeb
25th Aug 1999, 22:35
Capt Homesick, I've lost count of the number of people who have been shafted by your ex-boss. :)

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Aug 1999, 23:08
Great link - thanks a lot. Isn't PPRuNe great?