PDA

View Full Version : Multi-engine training

DEFPOTEC
16th Feb 1999, 07:01
To most of you this will be very obvious so please excuse me if it is a little basic. I was reading this forum and saw that someone was conducting multi-engine training in a light twin with passengers, other students, in the back seats observing. This can be very dangerous.

Depending on the aircraft being used, the weight of these observers can create an aft CG. In certan atmospheric conditions a stall can ocour at VMCA. With an aft CG it is very possible to get into a flat spin that is unrecoverable.

This is how I lost a very dear friend. He was an instructor. He was also my last student.

Tinstaafl
16th Feb 1999, 07:27
Oz rules don't allow the carriage of passengers during the practice of emergencies. Perhaps this was not during that part of the training?

If it was during the practice of emergencies then the instructor concerned might be leaving him(her)self rather liable to prosecution etc.

Whiskey Hotel Delta
16th Feb 1999, 17:13
Once again it would appear that disregard for rules and lack of common sense dominates.

What is it with some people? We who attempt to be professional educators, working with skills in a highly technical and often volatile environment, continue to be demeaned by the free radicals.

DEFPOTEC, there exists a system for the reporting of these incidents which, unless highlighted, will only continue to occur. It might be worthwhile exercising your right by submitting such a report, especially given your obvious personal anguish over a similar event. It may help to avert a future tragedy.

Tinstaafl, you're right about the regulations (CAR 249 applies), though I wonder why the regulation was altered. It used to prohibit the carriage of passengers on flights conducted for the purposes of endorsement training (etc.), as I recall. Still, there were, then, as there are, now, those willing to run the gauntlet.