PDA

View Full Version : Flight in/near Icing

Dengue_Dude
20th Jul 2004, 08:22
Situation was in the cruise at FL335 over Southern China inbound to HKG.

TAT was between 0 and +1, SAT -35, we flew downwind and below a CB anvil.

There was visible moisture hitting the windscreen ie. in liquid form as you could see the droplets exploding on contact.

I was taught (oh so many years ago) that firstly - this is not a good place to be. Secondly - that ice protection should be ON, ON ON.

I immediately turned the Cont Ign and Inlet Anti Icing on only to be countermanded immediately by the Captain who told me it was too cold for icing insisting it was turned OFF.

Now guys, I don't have much access to the 'books' where I am and by the way he said it (I believe based in total ignorance) with utter confidence, I'm almost (only almost) doubting myself.

Does anyone have a reference that is available online for this that I can print and give to this guy?

In my opinion his whole approach to weather like this was cavalier to say the least.

We have a problem in this company with 'highly experienced' captains (the fact might be that it is just as likely to be the first year's experience many times).

I'd appreciate any help before this guy puts more people at risk (unless of course it's ME that's wrong).

Thanks

404 Titan
20th Jul 2004, 08:45
Dengue_Dude

Do your company SOP’s cover this? Ours are pretty clear. Icing conditions may be expected when OAT or TAT is below +10°C and warmer than a SAT of -40°C and there is visible moisture in the air. In these conditions engine anti-ice must be on. As for flying on the down wind side of a CB under an anvil with precipitation falling out of it, all I can say is that the captain you are flying with wouldn’t have passed a line check if I was checking with him.

Dengue_Dude
20th Jul 2004, 10:07
Thanks Titan

From what you've said it fits entirely with ALL my past experience and teachings.

In THIS company even on a Line Check, certain captains essentially do what they like and it goes through without comment.

It has to be seen to be believed, yes there IS and SOP but the very fact that it's not in my bookcase should indicate what status it has to 'the few' (sorry Churchill).

My problem is that firstly I was looking for some form of reassurance I suppose but I am up against a political animal in trying to get anything changed. They are only just now looking at CRM, it is my opinion that is just what they'll do - look.

There is a perceived loss of face and authority that is unacceptable to the people that NEED it the most.

I'll try and find a copy of the SOP but I feel that something 'external' will be necessary.

Please keep commenting.

Old Smokey
20th Jul 2004, 10:11
Dengue_Dude,

Be assured that your actions and understanding of the situation were completely correct, and in line with what would be expected of a competant professional pilot.

The only mistake that you made was to fly with an incompetant twit.

You DO have access to the required information, no need to out-source it - the Airplane Flight Manual.