PDA

View Full Version : Books for the UK Instuctor Rating

Squealing Pig
11th Aug 1999, 19:04
I will be starting an instructor rating in 10 weeks. Has anyone got any suggestions for books I should read before I start?

Thanks in advance

Squealing Pig

DB6
11th Aug 1999, 21:11
Flight Instructors Manual by R. D. Campbell seems to be the bible. ISBN 1-898567-05-0. You can get it from Transair, £32.50.
In fact I think if you click on that banner at the top of the page, you can get it there (do I get a commission, Transair?)
Cheers DB6
When it says Transair, anyway, not Global-Oriental

[This message has been edited by DB6 (edited 11 August 1999).]

[This message has been edited by DB6 (edited 11 August 1999).]

MaxAOB
12th Aug 1999, 02:26
:)

As mentioned above RD Campbell. However if you have your own PPL books by Trevor Thom et al and maybe even PPSC or AP3456 series you will be quids in. Your school should give sensible advice, if not they are ripping you off. How much are they charging you? A good school will include it in the price and send it to you about a month before starting their course! ;)

[This message has been edited by MaxAOB (edited 11 August 1999).]

Sidney Hawker
14th Aug 1999, 04:48
Check out what book the organisation you are going to do the rating at will want you to use before shelling out once then maybe again when you start your course.
I was made to buy the Woodgate manual (good enough) but never used it again after the course. Make sure what ever you buy reflects the new syllabus changes.
You'll find that once you get let lose on unsuspecting students you will use info gleened from a few different sources of literature, not just one. Knowing what a tight wad you are, I might even lend you mine!
Squeeeeeeeel boy!

Squealing Pig
16th Aug 1999, 15:45
Thanks for the advice, I'll find out what the school want me to read and have a look at the other books mentioned as well.

Cheers
Squealing Pig

XENA
16th Aug 1999, 18:11
Yup, RD Campbell is very good.

Meanwhile, get out your CPL theory books, swot up on the aerodynamics, and practice drawing those ruddy drag curves!!

------------------
XENA - PA28 Warrior Princess

Capt Homesick
17th Aug 1999, 00:49
Xena has it exactly right- get the CPL books out, and start reading them again. During the oral part of the test, the examiner can ask you about anything, and expect an answer up to ATPL level. Practice drawing how the innards of all the instruments work, and be ready to expplain all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff.
I got lucky- when I was doing my AFI course, we had weeks of bad weather, and I had nothing else to do but keep studying!

Squealing Pig
17th Aug 1999, 22:52
DOH! Lent them to a friend at Westwind in Arizona after I passed the Techs.

[This message has been edited by Squealing Pig (edited 18 August 1999).]