View Full Version : Can someone help on Competence Management?

flapsforty
18th Jul 2004, 19:30
My company has over the past 2 years completely overhauled the teaching/evaluation/check/feedback system used in the Flight Attendant Department.
What we use now at all levels is something called Competence Management

We have had some training on it, and I have made the grade as required to be able to write evaluations of FAs. At the same time, I feel that in reality I don't have a clue what this is all about. I find it difficult, using this system, to write an evaluation that means anything to an FA. Something they can use in their development.
I am quite able to construct a load of BS that sounds good and will reflect well on me when pulled up by my boss during my own annual appraisal, but I don't feel that that's good enough.

I would like to learn to do this properly. Anyone here can recommend either books or websites??
I'd be very grateful for any tips. :ok:

BlueEagle
19th Jul 2004, 10:19
Just a Google but it may lead somewhere?

Competence Management (http://www.google.com/search?q=competence%20management&hl=&filter=1&num=10&lr=all)

Rather you than me!:D

crummer
30th Jul 2004, 22:13
A 'competence' is supposed to be a generic skill that is transportable between work contexts. It's also a buzz-word much in vogue. In the old days we had skills and knowledge - now we have competences.

Competence Management to me means either training or self-improvement - how else would you mangage your competence? Or maybe it means the extent to which you exercise self-control?

You are experiencing the same problem faced by many who are dealing with CRM assessment. Go back and ask your managers about the validity and reliability of the competence management system. If they cannot answer the question - or don't understand it - suggest that 'competence management' is a concept in need of development.

Or message me off-line before rigor mortis sets in.