PDA

View Full Version : Tips on controlling

Cosmo
6th Aug 1999, 14:47
Went up in a C-152 yesterday with an instructor for an introduction flight. He let me have a chance of trying the controls and a part from realizing that it's damn difficult to keep the plane straight and level I got the feeling that I wasn't set up correctly when it comes to sitting in a good "controlling" position [if you can call it that].
Does anyone have any tips on what one should take into consideration when setting the seat and so on? How do get the feel of the controls?
A bit like the question of using armrests that was over on the Tech forum a while ago.

Cosmo

Tinstaafl
6th Aug 1999, 23:28
Unfortunately there isn't an eye datum point built into most lighties. But as a guide you should be able to see the cowling just behind the propellor. Hmm...jargon - the 'cowling' would be the 'bonnet' if the aircraft was a car. Use cushions if necessary.

Your seat should also be just far enough forward for you to press each pedal on the floor (the 'rudder pedals') to the limit of its travel. You shouldn't have to stretch to do it. For a most aircraft, including the C150/152, that also include the extra set of pedals (the brake pedals) attached to, and above, the rudder pedals.

Re. hard to control etc. One of the best things you can do is hold the control column in your finger tips - a bit like holding a pencil so it can hang from between your thumb & 1st finger. Don't try to 'squeeze' the control column though, more like a 'push' using your thumb or a 'pull' using your finger. If more force is necessary then use a couple of more fingers to pull or the heel of your hand to push. That would normally be transient though so you would get back to the lightest grip that you can as soon as you can.

Don't try to look at the instruments or the controls while trying to move them. Look at the Earth's horizon directly in front of you. Your goal is to move the nose of the aircraft in relation to the horizon using a 'pressure' on the control column, rather than to move the control column as such.

The C150/152 has an armrest built into the door. I recommend you use it to support your arm while you hold onto the control column. That way your arm will be more relaxed from not having to support itself and you will tend not to have as tense a grip on the column.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your flying.

------------------
Don't mess with the red switches.

Black Jake
6th Aug 1999, 23:47
Cosmo, If learning to fly a C152 straight and level proved difficult, do not despair. It was not your fault, you must have had a crap instructor. Any half decent instructor will teach you the right technique such that you could sit in ANY aircraft, from C152 to Eurofighter, and establish straight and level flight in trim. Have faith.

Dan Winterland
8th Aug 1999, 15:23
Attitude, Attitiude, Attitude!

Cosmo
8th Aug 1999, 18:58
Thanks for the replies! I'll try the tips next time.

Cosmo

headwind
12th Aug 1999, 13:34
Thanks Tinstaafl for the tips, I'll have to use the thumb/forefinger advice next time.
Actually, I did an X-country flight with Cosmo yesterday and, alas! the plane didn't wobble anymore, his knuckles weren't all white sqweezing the controls.

One fine chap that Cosmo. He'll make a pilot. One day.

Rgs, Headwind

PS. I am not all that crap. And I am not an instructor, either... Fresh PPL holder with about 15hrs total PIC time

Cosmo
12th Aug 1999, 14:22
headwind, you beat me to it! :)
Tinstaafl, thanks again for the tips. Made controlling a lot easier during x-counrty.

Cosmo

------------------

"Looking for the traffic"

Tinstaafl
13th Aug 1999, 22:20
My pleasure! I'm glad you found it useful.

------------------
Don't mess with the red switches.