PDA

View Full Version : Logging Instrument time (Ex. 19)

FL
2nd Aug 1999, 00:50
Did Ex. 19 with a student today, basic IF work, VOR tracking. New to the game. Can I log say 0.9 of 1 hour in the instrument column as well as my P1 column?

DB6
2nd Aug 1999, 02:53
Wouldn't think so. You should be looking out, he should be under the hood. His instrument time (with sole reference to etc.)

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Aug 1999, 11:06
I log it if its real IMC. If its under the hood then you should be flying visually.

I'm not sure if this is the 'right thing' to do but hey - you're the Captain, your aircraft is in IMC and you sure as hell should be be working just as hard (if not harder) because blogs is handling the flying controls.

Happy flying, WWW

Tinstaafl
2nd Aug 1999, 14:11
The Oz authority released an AIC in the last year or 2 to clarify the logging of flight time - including IF. It stated that an instructor may log IF time in IMC while the student is handling the controls. In VMC he or she can't log IF.

Previously the usual (but not only!?) interpretion of the regulations & orders was that only one person was able to log IF at any one time. Ergo, if the student was logging it then the instructor couldn't.

I have never thought that made sense in IMC. My logic being that if the regs specify instructor wasn't able to log IF then they can only be using a framework based around the idea that he/she mustn't actually be monitoring (& correcting if necessary) the attitude & flight path of the aircraft. Doesn't make sense to me when you're teaching a student. By definition the student isn't qualified for that task or the instructor wouldn't be there.

However, if one considers the instructor is actively engaged in keeping the occupants tits up & the aircraft moving forward then (while the student is handling) then he or she should be able to log the IF time.

Wonder what the UK regs say about it?

+++++++++++++
Just tidying my typing errors
------------------
Don't mess with the red switches.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 02 August 1999).]

Oz_Pilot
2nd Aug 1999, 14:14
I was going to say that only one pilot can log IF over here, but Tinstaafl's post appeared in the time it took me to write it... sounds a lot like WWW's approach, quite a reasonable proposition.

[This message has been edited by Oz_Pilot (edited 02 August 1999).]

mrzippo
2nd Aug 1999, 22:02
FL
May i stand corrected but believe VOR tracking is ex 18 and therefore not IF anyways (Obviously unless under hood as well)
Regards

MaxAOB
4th Aug 1999, 04:06
:) ADF tracking is part of navigation Ex 18. Small point which wasn't the thrust of the original message i'm sure but if we don't get it right!!