PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed.

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Nov 1998, 12:23
So I'm in the market for an AFI course about March time next year. Any bright ideas / hot tips / helpful hints / recommendations / warnings anyone?

Cheers WWW.

Legend
10th Nov 1998, 01:45
Hey WWW are you going to try out for AL next year ?

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Nov 1998, 12:14
Nope, I'll be (hopefully) instructing full time next year so that kind of rules me out of any more cadetships.

Anyhow - who wants 60k's worth of free training, free accomodation, allowance, line training, guaranteed airline career and cosy position on a seniority list when they could have a PortaCabin, dry wip marker pen, sick bag, spam can and five pound fifty an hour?

Anybody know of good flying schools to approach as a new AFI with a bit of instructing experience already? Ahhh happy days ahead... WWW

ILSNDBVOR
12th Nov 1998, 05:45
The best flying you can have as a junior instructor is to be involved with the training of the kids on the RAF/MOD flying scholarship programme. An ever ending supply of eager, bright, motivated young folk and a good way to build both hours and instructor time. 2 drawbacks though, it only last for a few months during the summer and you need a minimum of 100hrs instructing experience before going up for the CFS flight test. If you can get 100hrs before July next year go for this option as you will easily do 100hrs a month doing this flying! Contact Tayside Flying Club at Dundee for a list of the participating schools, and check them out for doing your AFI rating at the same time. They will no doubt need instructors, so you may find you can do your course, get 100hrs and then work on the scholarship contract and really get the hours in. This time next year you could be looking at your magical 700hrs! A word of warning though, do not accept a silly hourly rate for your services, you mentioned 5.50 an hour, do not get out of bed for that mate, you will get more if you hold out! Good luck!

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Nov 1998, 12:13
Oh, I thought the kind of rates I would be looking at were in the order of 5.50 to 6.50 per flying hour with nowt' for rainy days or giving ground lectures. If I have an unrealistically low expectation then pleeeease tell.

Thanks for the contact for the flying scholarship scheme. Talk about full circle - I did a FS 6 years back and my instructor was an hours building ATPL'er. I'll look into it - I have a few contacts in CFS... WWW

------------------