PDA

View Full Version : Retry at class one - anybody think I've got a chance now, after extra flying?

G_STRING
16th Jul 2004, 13:18
Don't know which forum to post this in, so put it in two, apologies for the replication.

I cannot get a class one medical due to a very unusual congenital problem, (took quite a while to get the class 2)

When class 2 was issued, CAA doctors informed me, (when I enquired about class one), to basically forget it.

Since then, I've got 300 fixed wing hours in logbook, an IMC, night rating, twin rating, plus a rotary PPL (80 rotary hours now, with self-fly-hire)

Does anybody have any idea as to whether all this flying will 'encourage' the CAA to look again at my case to be allowed a class one medical? (trying to 'prove' myself, so to speak).

Any thoughts anyone? thanx

Flyin'Dutch'
16th Jul 2004, 13:31
On the whole the CAA look favourable upon those who want to fly and it seems even more so to those with some flying experience.

However whether they can and will in your case is very much dependend on what your problem is so I think your best bet is to ask the CAA.

Best of luck.

FD

IRISHPILOT
16th Jul 2004, 16:57
would suggest to get an FAA and maybe a Canadian first class from some examiner in the UK before going to the CAA. - Although they don't have to, they do look favourably at people with ICAO class ones, from my experience.

Thought of getting your class one elswhere, not from LGW?

regards, I.

Flyin'Dutch'
16th Jul 2004, 17:23
Although it is true that having another class 1 will carry some weight this is likely to be the case only if you have actually flown something which required a class one. Just being able to wave the paper bit is unlikely to be a magical want.

Rather than forking out for an FAA or other country's medical I do think that you best ring the CAA and see what they say.

If that route does not work and you are desperate to fly for a living you can always see if you can pursuit a career under a different licensing authority.

As I said in my opening reply, it will very much depend on what your 'problem' is.

Contrary to popular belief non JAR medicals are not a cure all for all ailings and the CAA's point of view may well be shared with other authorities.

FD