PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructors Diary

Deputy
3rd Nov 1998, 11:21
Notes on the week

Thursday:
Start of the week, many students booked, all aircraft serviceable weather forecast fine.

* Cancel morning initial circuits due X-Wind
* no lunch due walk in TIF
* Cancel afternoon advanced lessons due no X-wind.

Friday:
Late for first lesson due to all training aircraft not being refuelled after night flying.
* morning lessons result in 2 aircraft unserviceable, one with fouled plugs, one with new interior design of based on stomach contents.
* no afternoon lessons booked so help out in the hangar.
Cross thread a spark plug resulting in a 3 day repair. Cancel students booked to fly aircraft on the weekend

Saturday:
*Nav student turns up so ill prepared that 4 hours of flying turns into theory.
* Decline an invitation to jumpseat a charter in the Conquest for 2 TIF's that subsequently no show.
*Weather sunday is forecast low cloud so go partying till late.

Sunday:
Met guys get it wrong, Cavok all day.
* 6 consecutive lesson of stalling booked!!!!
* revise last 2 lessons into prec search (as bile begins to rise)

Monday:
Perfect conditions for X-wind cts, but student cancels to go skiing.
Spend rest of day washing aircraft.
Late afternoon book a single engine charter for tomorrow (usually day off)

Tuesday:
Arrive bright and early ....
Waiting......
Waiting.....
Boss gets you to run and errand.
On return someone else has taken your charter.
go home.

Wednesday:
Day off
Go to airport to use simulator in "own time" for 2 hours
get lumbered with 2 TIF's stay 6 hours

Thursday:
Start of the week............

[This message has been edited by Deputy (edited 04-11-98).]

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Nov 1998, 14:31
Thursday...
The three CSU endorsements for the day cancelled due to the Arrow being sold the night before.....
Discover flying school inspection is happening tomorrow...
Up all night trying to work out how to squeeze 150 duty hours per fortnight into 90.

Friday...
Flying school inspection, CFI "off sick" so postponed until next month...
Vow to keep duty sheets up to date...

Saturday...
All aircraft go off line for various reasons...
No flying
Weather perfect

Sunday...
Maintenance crew have all gone fishing...
Weather perfect

Monday...
Public holiday
Maintenance crew still fishing.
Weather perfect.

Tuesday...
Two aircraft back on line just as cold front arrives. Catch chickenpox from one of the students in for theory.

Wednesday
Sign on the dole. Again.

------------------

Checkboard
6th Nov 1998, 13:40
Charlie,

I applaud your bravery in stating "Up all night trying to work out how to squeeze 150 duty hours per fortnight into 90." seeing as it's obvious (to CASA) that you're a CFI in Perth who has just undergone an inspection!!

Go gettem girl! http://www.avnet.co.uk/pprune/Public_html/forum/smile.gif

Hint for the future: CAO48 states that a person shall not fly without a day off in the last seven, so if you're caught in the office on the seventh day in a row (8th? 9th?) that's OK, as long as you're not flying that day! Office work is OK, and you have to have a day off before you fly next. Doesn't help with total duty though!

Charlie Foxtrot India
6th Nov 1998, 16:10
Checkboard darlin, it was a spoof!!! Including the bit about the flying school inspection! I'm far too busy with the rest of my life to go over duty times! http://www.avnet.co.uk/pprune/Public_html/forum/smile.gif (just married) http://www.avnet.co.uk/pprune/Public_html/forum/wink.gif And was tested on CAO48 for my chief pilot's exam so know it all too well. Many years of shiftwork in a previous life makes me appreciate my rostered time off..to do amazing things like go shopping and go to the beach in daylight! (Yay!) Think I'm going to sit in the office or go flying? Yuk!