PDA

View Full Version : VFR in the vicinity of Farnborough Airshow

big.al
15th Jul 2004, 16:55
If the weather ever perks up I had hoped to travel Gamston to Sandown next week, via DVT and CPT VORs and then routing overhead Havant to avoid Solent Zone (not sure if their SSR is back up and running yet but I remember a warning a few weeks ago that zone transits may be refused due to a radar outage for maintenance).

But that track takes me through the TRA established for the Farnborough International Airshow next week. Having downloaded the TRA chart from www.ais.org.uk, I can clearly duck under that part of the TRA (3500ft +) and route between Popham and Lasham to Havant as planned.

But am I better off planning to avoid the TRA completely (even if below the lower limit, the area is likely to be busy with big or fast planes not looking out for a little one)..?

Does anyone know if Solent are fully back up and running with their radar yet and are now more likely to grant transits? It would be possible to go beneath Solent CTA and avoid the Farnborough TRA but this would be a squeeze and mean staying lower than 2000' QNH if I can't get a transit clearance.

Recommendations from you more experienced guys and gals please?

Thanks!

Brooklands
15th Jul 2004, 17:03
Al,

I think Solent's SSR is back in operation as I'm sure they gave us a squawk when we came back from the LowNSlow fly-in at Sandown a couple of weeks ago.

As far as the TRA goes I'd expect that the big heavy metal would remain within it - otherwise its a bit pointless.

Brooklands

2Donkeys
15th Jul 2004, 18:24
So far Farnboro seem to be cheerfully granting transits on request, subject to a little pilot flexibility on routing. They even dealt cheerfully today with the French pilot of an old Warbird inbound to Fairford who bust the London CTR.

Must be time to change the medication :D:D

2D

AlanM
15th Jul 2004, 18:25
I would definitely plan to stay well away from the TRA area!

Aircraft (such as the Red Arrows today) are around and outside the TRA (The Reds were at 800 feet high speed in formation earlier running in from the OCK area)

Have fun either way - and 125.25 is still open.

Umtali
17th Jul 2004, 12:52
Please don't be shy to call on 125.25. If we can help we will. There will be certain restrictions next week as things get going with displays and demo flights so you may not get your first choice of routing but any restrictions will be for your own safety and not us trying to be difficult. If there is a way round or through we'll try and if not at least we can keep you updated on traffic in the area.